Friday, January 31, 2014

Valentine Collages for Kids to Make

We made valentine collages during our snow days.  They turned out beautifully.  I love watching the kids create with open ended projects like this one.

valentine collages for kids

I raided our craft supplies to find materials.  I don't think you need anything special to collage with kids.  Use what you have on hand, old magazines, cards, fabrics etc.

Our Collage Supplies
tissue papers              
ribbons, trims, yarn
tulle
gold heart doilies
sequins
scrapbook elements and some stickers
repurposed eeBoo papers (used to be a paper chain)
paint/brushes, scissors, glue

I repurposed old file folders we had to use as the base.  They're sturdier than paper so it gave the kids a good surface.

valentine collages for kids

I'm so glad we collage every so often.  I realize that so much of the arts and crafts the kids get are "organized" or with a certain end goal in mind.  When I set these materials out and said go for it, they had a hard time seeing how they could use the items.  Once they realized things could be cut, layered, and used in unintended ways, they were busy at work.


 photo signature2_zps97adbaf3.png
Linking to:  TGIF!, Kids Weekly Coop, For the Kids Friday, Sharing Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn

4 comments :

Emma @ P is for Preschooler said...

I love collages because you can use whatever you have on hand! These came out lovely!

jeannine: waddlee-ah-chaa said...

I also love open ended art activities. It's such a joy to watch the children create "outside-of-the-box" works of art!

Today we began stitching our handmade Valentine cards. Our table looked similar to yours with lots of good stuff to explore.

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

I love their collages, and open-ended activities like this! Pinning to my Valentine's Day for kids board :)

Carrie said...

Oh, I love those!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!