Monday, January 6, 2014

After School Link Up, Cookbooks for Kids

Welcome back to a new year of the After School Link Up!
I thought since I left you with the After School hosts' favorite cooking with kids  posts and tips of 2013 that I would share some of my favorite cookbooks that I use when cooking with my kids.

cookbooks for kids

Some of my favorite cookbooks

Cook School by Amanda Grant-  This is probably my favorite book  to use when cooking with my kids.  The author gives solid tips for teaching cooking skills by age ranges and has recipes to practice those skills.  I also love that there are plenty of healthy recipes that one of my picky eaters will at least try if not really like.

The Family Dinner by Laurie David- This cookbook reads more like a story with inspiring pictures, recipes, and tips woven through.  "The story" is basically how to have an idyllic family dinner that I just dream about...one day. There are a lot of recipes that only my husband and I would enjoy as most are for more mature children's taste.  I will say though, we're making the Vietnamese soup tonight and it's one that each person can personalize and my kids are really excited about it. {Post update...you can see how our dinner turned out here}

Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook- This book was given to Little J by his great aunt.  It has some timeless kids' recipes that are fun and easy to follow for young cooks.

Mermaid Cookbook byBarbara Beery- While this isn't among my favorite cookbooks, it is a cute book to inspire some fun "party" food ideas.  Certainly worth looking at the series for festive events.

Barefoot Contessa at Home and Barefoot Contessa Family by Ina Garten- These aren't kids' cookbooks and most recipes appeal to adult taste, but there are enough recipes that the kids do enjoy that we use them often.

From time to time we'll check out books at the library's adult and children's section of cookbooks.  I find that we enjoy regional cookbooks.  These books are often fun to use when learning about new countries and cultures.  

What will you be up to After School this Week?
Photobucket

After School Link Up is Cohosted by


We would love to have you link up your School-Age Post (Ages 5 and up) about your learning week after school including Crafts, Activities, Playtime and Adventures that you are doing to enrich your children's lives after their day at school, home school or on the weekend! 

When linking up, please take a moment to comment on at least one post linked up before yours and grab our after school button to include a link on your post or site! By linking up you're giving permission for us to share on our After School Pinterest Board or Feature on our After School Party in the upcoming weeks!

Linking to:  Sharing Saturday
 photo signature2_zps97adbaf3.png




5 comments :

Phyllis said...

I would like to add DK's The Baking Book by Jane Bull and Kids' Fun and Healthy Cookbook to your list of good kid cookbooks. Here is my post on them... http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/kids-cookbooks.html

Kelly said...

That does look like a good book Phyllis! I recognized that author's name from a craft book we have and enjoy. I'll have to look for it at the library.

Jodie @ Growing Book by Book said...

Can't wait to check out the Family Dinner book club. It sounds like it would fit well with our Family Dinner Book Club. Thanks for sharing this cookbook list of ideas.

Natalie AfterschoolForSmartyPants said...

Great ideas, Kelly! I have to look for Cook School as my plan is to cook a lot more together this year.

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Have you tried "Pretend Soup" by Mollie Katzen? That's one of our favorites! I'll have to look for some of these - Emma LOVES cooking.