Monday, January 27, 2014

A Little Accident and Learning the Bones of the Hand and Wrist

Little J had his first real sports injury this past weekend while playing goalie on his indoor soccer team. He plays goalie a bit aggressive and grabs up balls while opposing players are still full on rushing toward him (I guess that's how you're supposed to do it, but this Mama is too wimpy).  As he took possession of the ball this time though, another player followed through on a kick and got the ball and unfortunately, Little J's hand. It dislocated his left index finger at the metacarpophalangeal joint

learning about the bones of the hand for kids

He was so brave through it all.  We spent around eight hours in a children's emergency room having x-rays and orthopaedics surgeons examining him.  In the end, they were able to give him some lovely medications to make him sleepy and they were able to put the joint back in place.  It could have been much worse, so I'm thankful he's on the mend.  

bones of the hand for kids

The orthopaedic surgeons were so wonderful with him.  Once Little J was all repaired and awake making sense again, he asked them to see his x-rays.  I couldn't believe it, but they took the time to show him all the before and after pictures and explained how the bones and joints fit together and work.  They explained where tendons, ligaments, and muscles would be and why they were concerned about this type of dislocation.  

Since he seemed interested, I rounded up some books at the library today and made a Montessori inspired mini book of the bones of the hand and wrist.

bones of the hand mini book

He read some of the books and finished the bones of the hand tonight.  I'll have him finish the bones of the wrist tomorrow and look through some of the websites below.

Online Resources
Inner Body (interactive)
Living Montessori Now, Skeletal Unit (tons of activities and resources!)

learning about bones for kids
I picked up The Dangerous Book for Boys by Gonn Iggulden too...

The Bionic Hand by Adam Woog
Bones Our Skeletal System by Seymour Simon
Human Body, Simon and Schuster

montessori mini book, bones

You can make this same book by going to WP Clipart and using their hand bones clipart.  I changed it to grayscale, and edited it in Picmonkey.  I made a control copy (one that had the names of one bone) and a blank copy for him.  He colored the appropriate bone and wrote the name in while following the control book.

Funny follow up story...Little J figured out how to play his video games the day after his injury.  However, on the way to school this morning, he said, "I might not be able to write today.  How am I going to hold my paper?"  Ha!  Nice try kid.

 photo signature2_zps97adbaf3.png
Linking to:  Montessori Monday, Kids Weekly Coop, For the Kids Friday, TGIF!, The Sunday Showcase


Jeanine H said...

Oh my, i had to stop by and say what a wonderful way you turned this into a valuable learning lesson Mom! it's so inspiring! I do the same sorts of things as much as I can myself. I always say to my children "moms make everything a game!" (or fun!) ... Yes, Even injuries ;D Great Job much enjoyed the share of the equally valuable links! ;)

Kelly said...

Thanks for the nice comment Jeanine!

julie said...

What a terrific project! Thanks for pointing out where to find the clip art--I've always wondered how others make their own lovely three-part cards or mini books, and now I have a place to start exploring.

Ticia said...

They always do try that one more push, "I can't do this...." Which always makes me laugh when my kids do it.

Great lesson, and great job turning an injury into a teachable moment.

Lindsay said...

Ouch!! But so glad he is okay!! What a great learning opportunity!

Deceptively Educational said...

Who'd have thought that the injury would have become a teachable moment! I love it!! My son would have found all that info fascinating as well. Great post, Kelly!