Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Set Up a Carnivorous Plant Terrarium

Yahoo, our first summer bucket list pull of the season! Sassyfras pulled "Set up a carnivorous plant terrarium" an activity from our less than 4 hour ideas.

carnivorous terrarium

Our plans

  • Read the book "Carnivorous Plants" by Elaine Pascoe
  • Visit a local botanical garden or home garden store to see the plants growing
  • Set up a carnivorous plant terrarium using a kit

I found a carnivorous plant terrarium kit on sale at Michael's earlier this year and stashed it away for this summer. It comes with everything you need...except I should have read the directions a bit earlier. One of the seed packs needs to be prepared and put in the refrigerator for 6 weeks! That's okay though, we still had another seed pack to plant.

carnivorous plant activities

I went to the library the day before school let out and loaded us up with books.  When I saw the book, "Carnivorous Plants" by Elaine Pascoe, I knew I had to pick it up.  I didn't think we would use it quite this soon, so I'm glad I had it.  It discusses carnivorous plants in general and their unique place in the plant world as well as how to grow and care for them.  It needed to be paraphrased a bit for Juiciness and Sassyfras (5 years old), but in general is a great book.

After reading this book, we headed out to visit a local botanical garden that has a bog garden and is home to a variety of carnivorous plants.  We saw several species of carnivorous plants up close and were able to spend some time observing them.  

carnivorous plant terrarium

This terrarium is comes with good directions and was easy to put together.  It will take some several weeks before we might see some plants sprouting.  

carnivorous plant terrarium


carnivorous plant activities

"Feed me, Seymour"!


 photo sig1_zps8a7de834.jpg

10 comments :

Erica MomandKiddo said...

My boys would love a carnivorous plant to feed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Raising a Happy Child said...

How cool. I hope your seeds sprout and then your kids will be bringing home insects to feed your plants :)

Discovering Montessori said...

This is such a great idea! DJ has been reading a book called Strange Plants that I picked up from the Target dollar spot. This would be a perfect activity for him. Love the way you ended this post, one of my favorite movie lines.

Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

Oooh, my kids have been fascinated with the idea of carnivorous plants lately. I had no idea you could buy a kit to grow one yourself! Might have to check that out!

Tara from The Magnolia Barn said...

What a creative idea! We will have to start a Summer Bucket List next year, it looks like alot of fun.

Leyla Brooke said...

This looks like a lot of fun and I will be doing something similar when the girls are older

Coombe Mill said...

Looks like a lovely kit for kids, fun to watch it grow too. thanks for
sharing on the Summer Carnival

Bury Family Life said...

This looks very cool. I'd be a little bit afraid they were going to go all 'little shop of horrors' on me though.

Pinkoddy said...

That looks like a great way to learn.

Visiting via the Summer Carnival

JDaniel4's Mom said...

My son would love to watch the plants eat!