Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Summer Bucket List Party 2013

Summer Bucket List 2013
I can't believe it, but this will be our 4th summer doing a summer bucket list! You can see our 2012 bucket list here and our 2011 list here, and our 2010 list here!

What to do this summer with kids

My childhood summers hold some of my best memories and those days were magical to me.  I would go back and relive anyone of them.  To this day, I love, love summer. I spent most of my summers with my grandparents in upstate New York along the Hudson River.  My days were never rushed and there was plenty of time for boredom, exploring, and play, yet somehow they were also packed with iconic summer activities that just seemed to spontaneously happen.  I helped my grandfather garden and he took me fishing, my grandmother spent hours watching me swim in the pool and made the best picnic dinners on the patio ever.  My aunt and uncle would appear and off we went to the county fair.  I want those type of days for my kids.

For the past few years we have been making a summer bucket list. We make list of things we want to do before summer kicks the bucket, cut them into individual strips and put them in a sand bucket.  I color code them for how much time each activity will take (full day, half day, 4 hours or less) and the kids take turns pulling a slip each morning, depending on our schedule, and that's how we plan our day.  I try to have all our supplies before summer starts so that we can be spontaneous, unless part of the fun is getting the supplies.  This isn't meant to always keep the kids occupied, but to have an intentional summer.  We won't start our list until all the kids are out of school (first week in June).

This is our 2013 Summer Bucket List
...for now...they add activities daily

Full Day Summer Bucket List Activities
fishing in the mountains
go on a reptile tour, visit a serpentarium (thanks Little J)
make homemade yogurt
set up our ant farm and learn more about ants
go to an aquarium
visit ethnic grocery stores or delis, bring home samples and cook
visit a museum
explore a nearby city
visit a potter's studio and watch them work, play with clay at home
go to the beach

Half Day Summer Bucket List Activities
mini golf
tie dye t-shirts and shoelaces
play at a sprinkler park
go horseback riding at a farm
ride our bikes to the park for a picnic
make a birdhouse from our gourds (we planted them this spring)
go rock wall climbing
go for high tea
make superhero capes
make Italian ices
take Daddy out to lunch for sushi
go for a hike
go to a planetarium show
make madeleines

Less than 4 Hour Summer Bucket List Activities
make pet shells (like pet rocks)
breakfast picnic
make bottle cap necklaces
make Dole whips
make ocean dioramas
round up some friends and play kickball
make a snail home
grow chia pets
make pizzas on the grill
read mom and dad's old comic books
make robot collages
make fresh lemonade or limeade
make bubble wands and homemade bubble solution, play
have a paper airplane contest
make a big chocolate cake from scratch
set up a carnivorous plant terrarium
take a butterfly walk and try to identify as many possible

All Summer Long or planned Activities
summer reading programs
annual road trip with Nana 
one week of summer camp/child
raise black swallow tail caterpillars to butterflies
summer learning goals for each family member
swimming, biking, outdoor playing
go to outdoor movies
catch and release fireflies, participate in the firefly watch
go to a baseball game
visit various museums

Now onto your Summer Bucket Lists 
and the Summer Bucket List party!
The rules are pretty simple...
1. Link up only child/family friendly summer bucket lists.
2. Link back to this party with either a text link or use this year's summer bucket list party button.
3.  Visit a couple of other links and leave a comment or two.
4.  Have a super fun summer with your kiddos!
Little Wonders' Days







Linking to:  We Made That, Kids Weekly Co-Op, Anything Goes Linky, For The Kids Friday, TGIF!, Friday Flash Blog, Tatertots and Jello, Crafty Moms Share-Sharing Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Saturday Show and Tell, Serenity Saturday, Link and Learn, The Sunday Parenting Party, Monday Funday, Monday Kid Corner, Happy Family Movement Summer Bucket List Challenge, Made by You Monday

20 comments :

Phyllis said...

I love the variety and creativity of your list Thanks for hosting.

Kirby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

What a fun list! I just had fun reading through everyone's and adding some to our list! Can't wait to read about some of your adventures this summer!

Bethany said...

Thanks for hosting! It had blessed us very much to do this with you for the last 3 years!

Jennifer Hughes said...

Visiting from TGIF Friday. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

Jennifer
thejennyevolution.com

Sheena Anderson said...

I love this idea and your list! I have one question though, what is high tea? I am from Alabama and we drink sweet tea but I have never heard of high tea.

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Sheena,
Thanks!
I'm a southern girl love my sweet tea too! I'm not an expert, but I believe high tea originated in England. It's basically hot tea served with fruits, fancy little sandwiches, scones, and other sweet desserts. It's meant to be a little formal. However, there are a couple of little tea places here where we live that do a high tea for children a couple of times a month. It's still as fun and cute, but scaled down so a child would enjoy the time.

Kelly

Melissa Whitcher said...

I can't believe summer is coming so soon!! This year seemed to fly by. Thank you for sharing your bucket list! Thank you too for linking up at our SImply Create Link Party!

Melissa
redflycreations.com

Natasha Mairs said...

I would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday

Natasha xx

Little Wonders' Days said...

Thanks for the invite Natasha. Thanks also for hosting a fun party.
Kelly

The Monko said...

i might write a bucket list this summer so that it doesn't slip away from us. Thanks for sharing yours, I'm pinning to the Sunday Parenting Party pinterest board

The Monko said...

i might write a bucket list this summer so that it doesn't slip away from us. Thanks for sharing yours, I'm pinning to the Sunday Parenting Party pinterest board

Abby Lawson said...

This is so brilliant! I am totally doing this with my kiddos. Pinning! I popped over from Monday Funday--thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Rachel {RandR Workshop} said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Somehow your comment was deleted but I wanted up come link up! What a fun party :)
Rachel at R & R Workshop

Carrie said...

I do one of these every year, I may link up last summers list as I haven't made our summer bucket list for 2013 yet. Love reading all of the things on your list!

Ina from The Party Event said...

Thanks for including our shell craft from last year in your bucket list. That just made my day.:)
Because of your bucket list, I started to write down ours, but I need to think a little more...I will link it asap. Thanks again for sharing your list. Typing, I am getting really excited about summer and all the wonderful thing we will do.

aimee @ montessori works said...

I am working on mine! I hope to have it together this weekend

Jennifer Hughes said...

What a party last week on Friday Flash Blog! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’ve visited some of the other community members and you're having a splendid week.

Jennifer
thejennyevolution.com

Beth Anne Schwamberger said...

Love these ideas, although I'm a little scared of the carnivorous plant terrarium...what about a butterfly terrarium instead?
Theamateurnaturalist.etsy.com

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very late, but I love your list and goals for this summer. I really have to get my act together soon :)