Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cooking with Kids: Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta

meyer lemon panna cotta

I found Meyer lemons at the grocery store this past week and grabbed a few for us to make a special dessert.  The kids have wanted to eat an "orange" ever since I brought them home.  Aren't they beautiful!

meyer lemon panna cotta

I invited juiciness to join me in the kitchen to make Meyer lemon panna cotta this morning.  I've been trying to do more one on one activities with the kids and they seem to really enjoy the special time.  They all know their turn will come around soon, so they're good with letting their sibling have my time.

meyer lemon panna cotta

He's so good with helping in the kitchen now.  He juiced all the lemons and measured and stirred all the cold ingredients for us.  I just did the part that involved the stove top.  One little tip, I like to put a small silicone mat under the bowl for them.  It keeps the bowl from slipping.  

meyer lemon panna cotta

We put one ripe raspberry in the bottom of each ramekin.  They floated to the top a bit when we filled them, but that's okay.  I also garnished the tops with a bit of lemon zest.

meyer lemon panna cotta

We modified the recipe from Ina Garten's book, "Barefoot Contessa at Home".  I've used her recipe to make panna cotta before and it's wonderful.
Our changes:
  • Decreased the heavy cream to just 2 cups
  • Added 1 cup of Meyer lemon juice to the cool cream mixture
  • Increased the sugar for a total of 1 1/4 cups
  • Omit the balsamic strawberries
meyer lemon panna cotta

This recipe takes a good 12 hours to set well, but it's so worth the wait.  It was delicious!!!

Photobucket Pin It


maryanne @ mama smiles said...

This sounds delicious! Pinning!

Raising a Happy Child said...

It does sound delicious. Juiciness is an impressive helper!