Sunday, December 16, 2012

How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Houses

The kids decorated our gingerbread house yesterday. I picked up a preassembled gingerbread house at Costco. It has frosting and candies to go along with it. However, Sassyfras's class made graham cracker gingerbread houses last week and they were "adorable, adorable, adorable". Her teacher showed me how to make them and I thought I would share it.

how to make a graham cracker gingerbread house

Her teacher also gave me this frosting recipe and it's pretty easy to make.
Royal Icing
1 pound powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons powder egg replacement (you can find these at a craft store)
6 Tablespoons warm water

Start by mixing the powdered sugar and powder egg replacement in a large mixing bowl.  Then add the water and beat on high for 5-7 minutes.  You must be precise when measuring the ingredients.  It should become nice and fluffy, but will dry hard.  If it looks too thick add a little more water.  I have a stand mixer and used the whisk attachment and it only took 5 minutes.  Store at room temperature in an air tight container.

graham cracker gingerbread house

Once you have your frosting made, spread a big circle on a plate and place a whole graham cracker on it.  This will keep the house from sliding around later.  Use a whole graham cracker for each of the long sides.  The short sides are half a cracker each.  To make the roof, take a half graham cracker and cut it diagonally in half with a serrated knife (using a sawing motion).  Use the triangle that is left to make the peaks of the roof on the short ends.  Then, use a whole graham cracker to finish the roof on each side.  Let it dry for a few hours or overnight and it's good to go.

decorating gingerbread houses

We made little name banners with a gum drop, toothpick, and construction paper banner.  They looks so cute on the houses!

how to make a graham cracker gingerbread house

They were so cute decorating our store bought house too.  All three teamed up to design it and I think it's my favorite one yet.

Gingerbread House

I just couldn't hug and kiss my kids enough yesterday.  My heart is heavy for the families that couldn't do that.  I just don't understand how anyone can do that to another human being, let alone precious little children.  



Phyllis said...

Your gingerbread house is beautiful. I was thinking about making some out of graham crackers this year, too.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I am going back and forth on buying a gingerbread house kit. We never eat it, so it kind of feels like wasting food, something that I don't like doing. I am also so sad about those precious kids in Connecticut, hoping that their families will find strength to make some sort of peace with this senseless tragedy.

Ticia said...

I've never successfully made a gingerbread house, but I keep wanting to try it.......

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

Powdered egg replacement is the key to getting frosting to stick! So glad you wrote about it :)