Monday, December 3, 2012

Gingerbread Playdough Activity

We've been enjoying our advent calendar! I love having a rhythm to our days, it certainly helps make them more predictable. Since today is Monday it was a "Make or Craft Day", which worked out great for us.  Sassyfras and Juiciness were both scheduled to bring the playdough for their classes this month.

Gingerbread Playdough

I gave the kids options of various seasonal playdoughs and they chose gingerbread scented.  Also great, since the theme in their classrooms is all things gingerbread.  I found the recipe at The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle.  It's your basic playdough recipe with ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves added. You can also find a recipe at The Imagination Tree.

gingerbread play dough

I set out the playdough, some empty spice containers, bowls and spoons on the table.  I told them they could pretend to make their own gingerbread. I also set out some sequins and some gingerbread playdough mats. I found this fun gingerbread house playdough play mat at Prekinders. I printed off several copies and laminated them. 

gingerbread play dough

I have the biggest craving for gingerbread cookies now!  This stuff smells so good and the kids have really enjoyed playing with it, even my eight year old had fun making "gingerbread cookies".  I think I'm off to make the real thing now, rhythm or not!


Photobucket

6 comments :

Leslie said...

Another cool project that makes me miss having little people!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a fun activity! I love your mat to play on =-)
Beth

Michelle said...

Love the play dough mat for them to play on. The girls would love this!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very nice! I can see that your Advent is off to a good start!

Carrie said...

What a fun activity!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Trisha @ Inspiration Laboratories said...

This makes me want to go make gingerbread play dough now! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase!