Saturday, December 22, 2012

Epsom Salt Snowy Pinecone Craft

Thursdays are our "Nature Days" and we decorated some pinecones we found on a nature walk last week.  I spray painted a few of them white and left the rest natural.  The kids made them "snowy".

pinecone craft


Supplies
  • Pinecones (white spray paint optional)
  • Epsom salt in a small bowl
  • School glue
  • Paper towel or newspaper to protect your work surface
Step 1
Take your pinecones outside and spray paint them if desired.  Allow to dry.

pinecone craft

Step 2
Drizzle school glue over a pinecone.  Roll the pinecone in epsom salt and gently shake off the excess.  Repeat process if desired.  

Step 3 
Allow to dry thoroughly and gently shake off any remaining loose epsom salt.


pinecone craft

After a few days the epsom salts turn opaque and really look more like snow.

epsom salt craft

I hot glued a piece of ribbon to their tops and have them hanging in a kitchen window. 

Epsom Salt pinecone craft


Photobucket

11 comments :

Phyllis said...

Beautiful! You have done some wonderful things this advent.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very pretty craft! We haven't tried any Epson salt crafts - this looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

So Thursdays are your nature day. Do you have a theme for the other days of the week? What a fun idea!

Sherri said...

These are adorable!

We-Made-That.com said...

WOW they really came out great and look so pretty with the ribbon hanging up. I would love for you to share this on our Made by or for Kids linky http://wemadethat.blogspot.com/2012/12/we-made-that-linky-18.html

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

So pretty! Love how you hung them!

Hannah White said...

These are so pretty! Please consider sharing them at Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up! Thanks

http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/night-weaning-again-and-eco-kids.html

Becki Lewis said...

Thank you for sharing these on Eco- Kids. My girls will love making these!

Carrie said...

Oh, I love these!! We will definitely be making some of these. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Hannah White said...

I wanted to let you know I featured your pinecones today on my blog! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/01/eco-kids-tuesday-link-up-and-green-pops.html

Bejay Roles said...

Gosh, I have only just found this and think it's fantastic. I have a load of pinecones that I collect when I walk my dog in the field outside our back garden and haven't known what to do with them. I'm getting a big bag of Epsom Salt to make my own laundry scent boosters so will have plenty to try this. I love the way the salts go opaque and look more realistic after a few days. Thanks so much for sharing...I only wish I'd found you earlier.