Monday, December 10, 2012

December's 10 Easy and Inexpensive Ways to Show Your Kids You Love Them

Aside from doing all typical things a parent does to show and tell their children to love them, there are plenty of ways to show your kids they're special and you love them. Here are 10 simple and inexpensive ways to do something out of the ordinary to let your kids know you're thinking of them and love them.
1.  Prioritize them this holiday season...that is to say protect your time with them.  This is one month of the year that I guard family time like no other. My husband and I get invited to a great many gatherings, but only accept invitations to a couple, and they usually include the kids. I've already turned down a few events and I don't feel guilty about it and you shouldn't either. "You have plans already"  and it's called "I'm making family memories".  I figure the number of magical Christmases are few and I'm going to savor every last minute of them.

2.Leave silly love notes for them to find on the Christmas tree...or leave serious ones that tell them how much they truly mean to you.

ways to show your kids you love them


3.  Make an indoor fort and spend a cold afternoon playing with them in it.  Bring in their stuffed animal friends, some good holiday and winter books, and a tasty snack.

4. Make a family favorite dessert together and sit by the fireplace to talk.


ways to show your kids you love them
Great Grandma's rocky road fudge!

5.  Show them pictures of you at Christmas when you were little.  There is a shared connection when they see pictures of you as a child and listen to the stories of your favorite Christmases.

6.  Let them do extra chores to earn money to buy small presents for their siblings and other family members.  Teaching children to earn, save, and spend money wisely is a huge gift of love.

7.  Put their homemade Christmas ornaments on the tree, no matter how formal your house or tree might be.  Our tree is covered in memories from Christmases past and it's perfect to us.


ways to show your kids you love them

8.  Stop what you're doing, pull them onto your lap and read their favorite holiday book when they ask you, even if you've read it 100 times that day already.  They won't ask to do this forever and you'll cherish the memory.

ways to show your kids you love them

9.  Find out what holiday traditions are special to them and try to include them in your plans.  Traditions are important and draw families close, so think about what you want to instill in your family.  If trying to do it all makes you crazy, then don't do it all.  It's better to be nice ;)

ways to show your kids you love them

Nicholas, our North Pole elf

10.  Take care of yourself and stay well.  I know when I don't get enough sleep or feel run down that I don't always feel like playing or being silly and even get snappy (we won't tell Santa that part).  


Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  The Sunday Parenting Party, Show and Tell, Tot Tuesdays, Super Link Party, It's Playtime!, Kids Weekly Co-op, For the Kids Friday, TGIF! The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn

11 comments :

Leslie said...

So many great ideas Kelly. #10... I wish I could sleep!!! : ) have a great new week.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the last important point. So far I tried hard to spend time with daughter in between adjusting to my meds and finishing up a crazy year at work. I am looking forward to my break that starts next week and to more time together.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder of the simplistic things that are so important in a family. I am constantly reminding myself to guard our time, enjoy the small things, and soak all the 6yr old magic of the season up! I am thankful for your blog (my personal favorite) that inspires me to do just that! Merry Christmas!

Sarah said...

These are great! Thank you for sharing as always. It's a nice reminder of whats really important...not only this time of year but year round.

Lindsay said...

Great list! I need to work on #10 tonight!!

Katie @ Gift of Curiosity said...

Making family traditions around the holidays is so important. How wonderful that you prioritize time with your family so you can make those traditions and memories together!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

These are fantastic ideas, I love all of them. I'm going to leave a "I love you snow much" note in my son's room for him to find after school today. :)

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Great ideas!

4 You With Love said...

Gave this great post a shout out!

http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/12/show-your-kids-you-love-them.html

Marilyn

The Monko said...

Its so easy to get carried away with making Christmas special and actually forget to engage with your child. This is a great reminder. I'm featuring it on the Sunday Parenting Post this weekend. You can grab an I was featured button from my button page if you'd like one.

Ness @ One Perfect Day said...

Kelly I love these monthly lists so much. They are absolutely wonderful. I'm featuring this post on my blog this week for The Sunday Parenting Party. Thanks for linking up again and please feel free to grab a "featured at" button if you'd like one. (I think I feature these lists every time you share them but I can't help it, they are so beautiful!)