Thursday, December 6, 2012

Celebrating St. Nicholas Day with Kids

We're doing something new this year, celebrating St. Nicholas Day. Last night, I lined the kids' slippers up under our Christmas tree and put a few candy treats in them.  We talked about St. Nicholas and the characteristics that made him special yesterday.  We also did some activities from this website, it's great for kids.

celebrating St. Nicholas Day with kids

The boys had outgrown their slippers, so they got a new pair.   Sassyfras's slippers still fit and are in great condition, so she got a pair of Hello Kitty Christmas socks from the Target dollar bins ...(and was over the moon about them!)

St. Nicholas Day with Kids

Their treats were a small chocolate St. Nicholas, some traditional chocolate coins and a couple of little candy canes.

wonderful kid's blog 

7 comments :

Lindsay said...

What a fun and simple tradition! :-) I bet the kids loved it!

Phyllis said...

We love celebrating St. Nicholas day, too.

Raising a Happy Child said...

For some strange reasons Lars insists that St Nicholas night is from the 6th to the 7th - this is how it was celebrated in his family anyway. Anna loves this tradition and was delighted to receive some chocolate, candy canes and a highlighter.

Mud Hut Mama said...

What a fun tradition you are starting! I love your kids' slippers - so cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly!

Another fantastic tradition to share! I truly love it!

I know I do not comment much now, but I do read every post in the email!

I am always inspired and proud of you!

Peace and Blessings to you and yours!

Kerri

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Raising a Happy Child- I wish I had known about celebrating on the 6th-7th. I woke up around midnight on the 5th and went "oh no, their slippers!" I had to sneak downstairs and fill them.

Kerri- Hi! It was nice hearing from you. I hope all is well with you.

jmommymom said...

We have learned about St. Nicolas Day since we moved to Germany three years ago. I just wrote about it too. It looks like you did things very similar.

http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/12/german-christmas-traditions.html