Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Service Day, Food Drive

Yesterday was a service day for us.  The kids' schools are holding a holiday food drive and we decided to participate in it for our service.  The kids and I sat down and talked about what they like to eat at our holiday dinners and came up with a list of foods that would also be good for a food drive.  I turned it into a picture list  (we didn't necessarily buy the brand, but the item) so it was easier for the younger two to shop and we headed out to our local grocery store.

Service Projects for kids

The kids were so sweet.  I think they really understood that there are people who just don't have enough food to eat each day and that doing a special holiday meal might be out of the question for them.  When they got to the store they were diligent about finding the items on their list, but they also wanted to add more and more as we shopped.  They helped bring the groceries in the house and sorted them into bags and lined them up at the front door for a morning drop off.  

service projects for kids

One thing that I should add is that I asked them to each do a few extra choirs this week to "earn" money to contribute to this service day.  I think having to contribute personally makes it a bit more meaningful to them.


Photobucket

4 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

I think you set it up very thoughtfully. It's sad that so many Americans go hungry and I am trying to teach my daughter not to take her blessings for granted.

Sarah said...

Awesome!! Love that they contributed money too. My boys used their giving jar for operation Christmas child and I had one that was very hesitate to let his money go. But he did and hopefully it will help him understand! :)

angelicscalliwags said...

That's such a great beginning of Advent activity - I might nic that for next year! Have a lovely Christmas (over from TGIF)

Jodie @ Growing Book by Book said...

What a great idea. I love the idea of the picture grocery list. I'll be adding this idea to our family tradition list!