Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Santa Letter Writing Party for Kids

The kids wrote their letters to Santa yesterday. While they were off at school, I set our kitchen table up with a variety of writing tools, papers, envelopes, stickers, and some fun snacks.  I found some cute printable Santa letters at Skip to My Lou.  You can see our Letter Writing Party from last year here.

Letters to Santa Party

It's always so fun to see what they say and what they ask Santa to bring for Christmas.  Sassyfras was sure to tell me to write that she believed in him.  Juiciness just wants a whistle and a Nerf gun, although Santa's not too sure about that whistle.  Little J typed his letter...still young enough to believe in Santa but too old to use "baby paper".

When they finished addressing their letters they ran straight for the mailbox.  I usually sneak their letters back out for keepsakes, but the mailman beat me to it yesterday!  

Letters to Santa Party
Aren't these crayons fun?!  I found them at Target.

If you want to send your child a Santa letter in return and have a North Pole postmark, follow these instructions from the US Post Office.  Your letter must be received by the USPS by December 10, 2012!

Christmas dessert for kids

I love these little Santa hat snacks!  I decided to change them a little and totally cheated to make them easier!  I bought mini chocolate cupcakes and cut the tops off to make them flat.  I used premade icing in a tube to pipe around the tops and then placed a strawberry on top with another dot of icing.  They took about five minutes to make and how cute would they be for a class party?!

I'm almost done with this year's advent calendar and can't wait to share soon!


Photobucket

13 comments :

Phyllis said...

I love this post. Writing letters to Santa has always been a special tradition for us. Your making it a party will make it an even more prominent memory for your kids. I love the cupcakes. I just may have to follow your lead...except we always do ours on Saint Nicholas day, December 6th.

Sarah said...

We haven't been online much but I keep coming back to your blog first for Christmas activities! you always have the best stuff! Thanks for always sharing your hard work! :)

Lindsay said...

What a fun letter writing party! Love the santa hats!

Kelly said...

Thank you Sarah, you're too sweet! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

pinkoddy said...

I love the idea of a letter writing party. You'd think Santa would send the mommies and daddies the letters back.

April's Homemaking said...

What a fun idea, my kids are both teens now, but when we saw the Santa letter writing station at Macy's the other day my daughter and I thought writing Santa letters would be fun. The crayons from Target looks like fun too, I will have to keep my eyes out for them. :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Oh, the snack looks awesome! We had a letter to Santa too, but now Anna decided to expand on her list and asked for a new deadline of Dec 3 :)

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I LOVE your letter writing party!! And those crayons are WAY cool! Thanks for linking up & sharing on TGIF!
Beth =-)

Carrie said...

What a fun idea!! I love that you included Santa themed snacks too. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

Santa's Letter Elf said...

Writing to Santa is an awesome activity - lots of fun and educational, too.

I like to scrapbook their letters beside the letters from Santa so I usually photocopy or photograph their work before it gets enveloped and mailed.

Tamara Gerber said...

Dear Kelly,

I read this wonderful post last year when it was already too late to participate and write to Santa (we live in Switzerland). So I am wondering: is this a recurring service? I couldn't find information on the USPS website.

Thank you so much and happy Halloween!
Tamara

Little Wonders' Day said...

Hi Tamara,

I don't see any new information on the USPS site about this year either. I found this generic PDF from the USPS that states December 10th is the latest date to get a return letter. Here is the link http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2010/holiday/pdf/northpolepostmarks.pdf

I'll keep checking to see if they update anything and will post if I find anything new. My kids love getting their letters.

Kelly

Kelly said...

Okay, so I did find this year's USPS info about the North Pole cancellation stamp. Here is the link...

http://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/ak/2013/ak_2013_0911.htm

Your letter has to be there by December 10, 2013.

Kelly