Friday, October 19, 2012

Baked Pears with Cobbler Topping, Cooking with Kids

baked pears

I had two little helpers make dessert with me last night.  We made a simple baked pears with a cobbler topping.  Super easy and delicious!

baked pears

We started with some beautiful just ripe Bartlett pears.  The kids washed them and I cut them in half.  I showed them how to scoop out the seeds and woody stem with a spoon.

cooking with kids

For our cobbler topping the kids mixed together the following:
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 stick of melted butter
2 teaspoons of apple pie spice

baked pears, cooking with kids

The kids put the pears in one of my pottery bakers and topped them with the cobbler topping.  They were generous with the topping, which made it very tasty!  My pottery baker has a lid, so I put the lid on it.  I had a chicken roasting at the time and decided they could go in together.  So, these pears baked at 425 for about 40 minutes.  If you don't put a lid on them, I would probably bake them at a little lower temperature, but probably for about the same amount of time. (Note, I don't let these two help with the oven yet.)

baked pears

Of course we had to serve them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!  Mmmm.  I'm so glad to have budding chefs in the house!



Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  For the Kids Friday, TGIF!, Sharing Saturday, Skip to My Lou, It's Playtime!

5 comments :

Lindsay said...

oh man this totally made my mouth water!! Delicious!

Angela said...

I love this idea because it looks simple, delicious and healthy! I bet your house smelled GREAT with these in the oven!!!

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

This sounds and looks delicious!

Sherri said...

yummy!

Carrie said...

Oh, how delicious!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!