Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Talk Like a Pirate Day Activities

Ahoy! "Talk Like a Pirate Day" is today!  

We've celebrated this holiday for the past few years.  I really have no idea what this "holiday" is supposed to be about, but the kids find it a fun day to be a little silly.  Our Wednesday afternoons and evenings are pretty busy, so we started our fun a little early yesterday afternoon.

Talk Like at Pirate Day

Little J is starting a science unit on the skeletal system at school, so....we had some fun with a skeleton scavenger hunt I found at Target in the Halloween section.  It's a game that comes with two puzzle skeletons.  You hide the pieces and group the kids into teams to find and build their skeleton.  Little J played by himself and Sassyfras and Juiciness played as a team. Once they assembled their puzzles, we named the bones on the puzzle and then talked about some of the missing bones.  

For dinner I made fish tacos (the kids will eat the fish, but not as tacos).  Dear husband and I thought they were great though!  They're pretty easy to make too.  I used red snapper sprinkled with lime juice and taco seasoning and sautéed it in some olive oil.  We top our tacos with more lime juice, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, guacamole, and tomatoes.

talk like a pirate day

I packed the kids lunches with mini pasta shells with butter, goldfish crackers, orange slices, and a few other things, but I used some leftover supplies from Little J's birthday at the beach to make it a little more pirate like.

Have a great day Matey!



Raising a Happy Child said...

Seafood is definitely very appropriate for a Pirate Day :)

Phyllis said...

That is so cute! I know I would have loved all of that as a kid! :)

Lindsay said...

What fun!! My company one time created a video all about talk like a pirate day!

Candice at Picture Perfect Parties said...

How Fun! I had no idea there was "Talk like a Pirate day." I'll have to remember that for next year. :o)

Christy said...

Oh, I love it!

Sherri said...

I love pirates...and I love this!