Aside from doing all typical things a parent does to show and tell their children to love them, there are plenty of ways to show your kids they're special and you love them. Here are 10 simple and inexpensive ways to do something out of the ordinary to let your kids know you're thinking of them and love them.
1. Tell them one reason you're thankful for them each day. Write it down and then give them the list at the end of the month
printable from Family Fun
2. Have an "I'm Thankful for you Breakfast". I did this last year for the kids and they loved it!
3. Mail them a card and tell them you love them! My kids love to get mail and hang onto their cards and letters for weeks.
4. Help them make their thankful list and let them see how blessed their lives are.
Printable mini "I'm Thankful For..." book from Scholastic
5. Choose a service project that you can do as a family. Let them see what a blessing it can be to help others in need or who are less fortunate. Food banks, local hospitals, and animal shelters often have projects that appeal to children.
6. Make hot (warm) raspberry tea with honey and lemon for them when they have a sore throat or for no reason at all!
7. Slow down. Children can often feel the stress of the hustle and bustle with the start of the holiday season. Take time each day to slow down and make time together as a family.
8. Invite them to plan and prepare at least one one dish for Thanksgiving dinner. I remember my grandmother helping me make something to put on the Thanksgiving table each year. I felt so special and proud that I contributed to our family meal.
9. End your phone call/text (put your phone away!) when you pick them up from school. Focus on reconnecting with them. Find out how their day was, share your day with them.