Saturday, September 1, 2012

September's 10 Easy and Inexpensive Ways to Show your Kids you Love Them

Aside from doing all typical things a parent does to show and tell their children to love them, there are plenty of ways to show your kids they're special and you love them. Here are 10 simple and inexpensive ways to do something out of the ordinary to let your kids know you're thinking of them and love them.

1.  Tell them one reason you're thankful for them each day.  Write  it down and then give them the list at the end of the month

ways to show your kids you love them
printable from Family Fun

2.  Have an "I'm Thankful for you Breakfast".  I did this last year for the kids and they loved it!

Thanksgiving breakfast for kids

3.  Mail them a card and tell them you love them!  My kids love to get mail and hang onto their cards and letters for weeks.

Ways to show your kids you love them

4.  Help them make their thankful list and let them see how blessed their lives are.

ways to show your kids you love them
Printable mini "I'm Thankful For..." book from Scholastic


5.  Choose a service project that you can do as a family.  Let them see what a blessing it can be to help others in need or who are less fortunate. Food banks, local hospitals, and animal shelters often have projects that appeal to children.

6.  Make hot (warm) raspberry tea with honey and lemon for them when they have a sore throat or for no reason at all!

ways to show your kids you love them


7.  Slow down.  Children can often feel the stress of the hustle and bustle with the start of the holiday season.  Take time each day to slow down and make time together as a family.  


8. Invite them to plan and prepare at least one one dish for Thanksgiving dinner.  I remember my grandmother helping me make something to put on the Thanksgiving table each year.  I felt so special and proud that I contributed to our family meal.


ways to show your kids you love them


9.  End your phone call/text (put your phone away!) when you pick them up from school. Focus on reconnecting with them. Find out how their day was, share your day with them.


10.  Sign up for a turkey trot (walk or run) to do together as a family.  It's a fun way to teach them to value exercise and to care for their bodies.  Plus it's a fun time together!



Photobucket

17 comments :

lindsy said...

Thanks Kelly, I love these. I also wrote down several of your fun fall traditions. I can't wait for the fall!

Ticia said...

What a great list of ideas. My kids love to pile into our bed and wrestle.

Sarah @ Stay at Home Eductaor said...

I so enjoy doing these types of bucket lists with my kiddies. I especially like the Friday Fun idea. With everything going on this fall, Friday id the only day I have off to make complete kid centered! Thanks for the great ideas!

Raising a Happy Child said...

You really know how to show love to your kiddos! Fun Friday is an awesome tradition to have!

Becky A. said...

I love this post! Thank you for all the fun (easy) ideas!

Natasha SerenityYou said...

would love if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday, that runs from sat-thurs @ www.serenityyou.com

Natasha xx

Sherri said...

You speak my language...love all that the list includes! :)

Cheerios and Lattes said...

I love it! Thank you so much for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week to link up some more great ideas! Have a great rest of the week!
-Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

Alex said...

Oh wow, that is an awesome article!
There should be more of these articles for broken parents :)

Earning-My-Cape said...

How fun! These are great!
Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

xpressionsofself said...

These are fab! Thanks for posting

Trisha @ Inspiration Laboratories said...

Lovely ideas, Kelly! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. :)

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Great ideas. I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Have a super weekend.

Mary Ryan said...

I love these ideas. And the post itself is a great reminder to take time to show your kids you love them! I am featuring this tomorrow as part of my kids co-op post at http://sugarsnips.com/. Thanks!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I think this is such a WONDERFUL post!! I wish more parents would be intentional about loving & spending time with their kids. So many great ideas here!!! I featured at TGIF this week (http://www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/09/tgif-linky-party-47.html). Thanks for linking up & I hope to see you again today,
Beth =-)

Ness @ One Perfect Day said...

Kelly this is such a beautiful list of ideas. I've pinned this to my parenting board on Pinterest. I would love to invite you to link up to my parenting linky The Sunday Parenting Party http://www.oneperfectdayblog.net/2012/09/09/the-sunday-parenting-party-2/

Ness @ One Perfect Day said...

Thanks for linking up to The Sunday Parenting Party. I've featured your post on my blog today as one of my favourites from last week's linky. This is such a wonderful list and they are ideas that are so easy to implement.