Monday, August 20, 2012

Painted Magical Sea Shells {A go along craft to My Garden by Kevin Henke}

We joined the virtual August book club and read My Garden by Kevin Henke.  The sweet imaginations of a child bring to life a magical garden in this book. The illustrations are so whimsical and my kids really wanted to look at them closely.

paint shells kids craft

I took the kids to a local botanical garden and we found a shady spot to sit and read our book.  When we returned home,  I set some shells, paints, and glitter out for the kids.  In our house, the glitter makes the shells magical and you just never know what they might grow.

Painted Shells

As a child, I spent the summers with my grandparents.  Their neighbors were their best friends and they had known them for years and years.  I knew them as Aunt Evie and Uncle Gussy.  My Uncle Gussy passed away when I was just ten, but I have wonderful memories of summers with them.  My Aunt Evie is still a part of my life and we talk just about every week.

Painted Shells

My uncle Gussy told me that my play money would grow real money if I just planted it in a special pot.  Imagine how thrilled I was when I found a real quarter in my pot the next morning.  I didn't find out until I was older that each night he would walk over and change my play money for real money.

Painted Shells,

So, after the kids finished their shells, I suggested that they plant them...you never know what might grow.  It was the first thing Sassfras asked about in the morning.  I think she was hoping for more shells to grow, but was really excited to find quarters in their place.  I told them they had to share what they found...which was enough quarters for a trip to the dollar store.  I'm sure our neighbors wondered what the shrill laughs were at 6:30 in the morning!


Photobucket
Linking to:  Tip Toe Thru Tuesday, Superlink Party, For the Kids Friday, TGIF!, Weekly Kid's Co-op, Sharing Saturday

15 comments :

Bethany @ No Twiddle Twaddle said...

I love this activity. Your shells are so pretty!

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What a magical way to start off the day! Love the glitter on the shells :)

Hannah White said...

We are heading to the beach and I bought paint to take a long.

Hey I just realized (a bit tooo late) that this blog hop is for a book activity.. sorry. Please feel free to delete my link.

Lindsay said...

How fun!! These shells turned out so pretty!

Christy said...

So sweet!

Ticia said...

I love how pretty they are! I think my kids would love to paint some of our shells.

Oh, and this could be a use for all of those itty bitty shells they keep finding at parks.

Carolyn said...

Such a sweet activity. :)

Leslie said...

This is just to sweet ~ first the adorable painted shells and then the growing of quarters ~ I love it!! : )

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love the magic shells, and this book is one of my personal favorites by Kevin Henkes. My Mom played Doll House fairy with Anna - every night something changed in her doll house, and a fairy was leaving candy and quarters. Anna told her, "I know that the doll house fairy is really you, but keep being a fairy, please".

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

I'm so glad you joined the Virtual Book Club! This is such a fun idea to do with seashells, we have quite a few from our summer beach trips that would love to inspire some projects. what a sweet story about your Uncle, and something that you will treasure with your kids as well.

andie jaye said...

that's so cute that you did that for them! and yes, glitter does make things magical, doesn't it? thanks for linking this up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

Earning-My-Cape said...

How fun! And what a cute story! So nice that you are passing on the memory for your children!
Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

Sherri said...

Great idea!!!! Absolutely fantastic!!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Your seashells are BEAUTIFUL!! What a fun project. Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week =-)
Beth

Carrie said...

Oh, how beautiful!! We did My Garden as well. I think we may have to try your idea. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!