Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mid Summer Nature Walk and Bug Hunt

Our summer bucket list pull yesterday was, "Go on a bug hunt walk".  Just looking in our front yard proved interesting!  It ended up being more of a nature walk as the kids were checking out all sorts of things.  

Some of the insects we found were bees, wasps, grasshoppers, ants, pill bugs (although they are crustaceans) and several kinds of butterflies.  We tried to stop and observe them for a bit.  My kids enjoyed watching the bees and butterflies the most.

mid summer nature walk, bug hunt walk

We found this stunning garden spider in our front garden.  It's an orb weaver and had spun a big, beautiful web.  It's still there this morning.  We talked about the differences between insects and arachnids as we watched it.

We've had quite a bit of rain in the afternoons, so toadstools were easy to find.  I made the point of stressing we don't touch or eat any of the mushrooms we see outside.

We also checked out the trees and found green acorns on the oaks and fresh pine cones on the evergreens.  Sassyfras had her basket with us, so we collected a few nice pine cones to put away for our winter crafts.  

It's always fun to see what they collected at the end of a walk.  You find the usual rocks, sticks, pine cones, but then there is the occasional bottle cap or Lego??? in there too.  


Photobucket

10 comments :

Sherri said...

You know what? That is exactly what I need to do today with my kids...go for a bug hunt! :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Perhaps I should do it while I am in NJ. There are a lot more bugs here. However, I am an arachnophobe. Spiders - ewwww. I know they are useful, but I just can't abide them.

Lindsay said...

sounds like just the perfect bug hunt turned nature walk! LOL about the lego!

Ticia said...

I'm debating, we cover arachnids in our science this year, but arachnids includes scorpions, which I can't stand. Don't know what I'll do about that.......

Natasha SerenityYou said...

we went on a nature walk yesterday, I don't know who enjoyed themselves more, me or the kids

Michelle@ Learning to Be a Mom said...

This looks like so much fun. I like to go out and do something every day and it's hard thinking of things where we don't end up spending money. This will be great.

Pete said...

Orb weavers are amazing. We used to have some live at an old house. We had an outside toilet and would always have to dodge their GIGANTIC webs if we had to go through the night. Great idea to go on a bug hunt. Think we might have to see what we can find this afternoon. Thanks

Sarah D. said...

Wow, this is such a neat way to have simple & free fun! Your pictures are beautiful as well.

I may have to do this with my children this week..although my two year daughter screams every time she sees any bug/ My son, on the other hand, disects them and pulls off their legs...

apparently we have strange relationships with insects in my family haha.

Carrie said...

I love nature walks!! We have quite the collection of sticks from ours. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

KitchenCounterChronicles said...

Beautiful. Going on a bug hunt is a favourite around here too. Thanks for linking to the outdoor play party.