Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Making Homemade Soaps with Kids


We tried our hand at homemade soaps yesterday.  I had purchased a soap making kit from a craft store earlier this summer and we finally got around to using it.  The kit comes with soap, molds, colors and scents.  We added some homegrown lavender and some nylon cording to make soap on a rope.

homemade soap, soap making with kids

The kit came with a special mold to make this soap above.  It was really simple to make, but really pretty too.  We cut it with a crinkle cutter to make the ridges in the sides.  

making homemade soaps

Little J dropped the colors directly onto the soap and swirled them with a toothpick to get the tie dye effect.  The colors didn't quite reach the top of the soap, but it still turned out really pretty.  He turned it into soap on a rope by adding a nylon cord right after he finished the colors.  

homemade soaps, soapmaking kit

My favorite was the lavender soaps we made using the lavender from our sensory garden.  We picked lavender and dried it earlier this summer.  It floated to the top of the soap, but it still smells and looks beautiful.  We may make a few more of these and wrap them to give to teachers on meet the teacher night.

making homemade soaps with kids

Overall, this was a fun and easy craft for the kids.  I melted the soap in the glass pitchers they use for pouring their water or milk.  I think it helped them to pour the soap without spilling.  The melted soap is obviously hot, and the kit tells you to use caution in just about every step in the instructions, so use your judgement for what ages you let make these soaps.  I kept a wet kitchen towel next to us just in case someone did spill on them we could wipe it off quickly.



Photobucket 

Linking to:  Show me What Ya Got, Tip Toe Through Tuesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Weekly Kids Co-op, Red Ted's Arts Blog, For the Kids Friday

9 comments :

Lindsay said...

These turned out so pretty!! I love this activity! Maybe we will make some for Christmas gifts this year!

Leslie said...

pretty cool!!!! The kids will love using their own soaps. Another great summer project.

Christy said...

We have a soap making kit that we used this past winter - the kids loved it. I like the idea of using your own lavender!

Lorie K said...

I want to try this - maybe I would have to nag my kids less to wash their hands!

andie jaye said...

that looks like so much fun! and might make bath time a bit easier, huh? thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

Ticia said...

I've thought about trying that, but never followed through.

Sherri said...

This has been on my to do list for quite a long time..and you make it look magical!! Why can't you make soap with my kiddos...and I'll watch?

RedTedArt said...

Wonderful. They make such great gifts too!

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Jennifer Fischer said...

I would love to try this. We did something similar too - lavender bath scrub as a birthday gift for grandma. I think lavender is such a great item for kids. I've used it now in a bee sensory bin, for the scrub and in playdough! http://jennifischer.blogspot.com/2012/08/lavender-playdough-how-i-learned-to.html