Friday, August 3, 2012

Coconut Lime Summer Play Dough, Beach Theme Tray

The kids wanted to play with some play dough yesterday, so we made a new batch.  I wanted to do a summer, beachy tray for them since we'll be spending some time at the beach soon.  I used coconut extract and lemon/lime Koolaide with a little fresh lime juice in our standard play dough recipe to come up with our new batch- Coconut Lime.  It smells so good!! 

summer play dough, beach theme play dough

Our Tray
Shells from past beach trips
glass beads
plastic animals from our Coral Reef Toob

Our Basic Recipe
2 cups of flour
2 cups of water
1 cup of salt
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of cream of tartar

Then Add this to make Coconut Lime!
2 teaspoons of coconut extract
1 pack of lemon/lime Kool-Aid
juice of half a lime

Place all ingredients, except coconut extract and fresh lime juice, in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat.  Stir until a ball of play dough starts to form and thickens into play dough consistency.  Remove from heat and turn dough out onto a heat safe surface.  When cool, knead smooth and add coconut extract and fresh lime juice.  Store in an airtight container.

coconut lime play dough, beach theme play dough tray

Sassyfras played with her tray for a looonnnggg time.  She made and remade her version of a coral reef several times.  We had a great time with our summer play dough!

Little Wonders' Days


Lindsay said...

So wish if this was a scratch and sniff computer screen! Looks like so much fun!

Christy said...

This is a scent we have never tried; sounds great!

Raising a Happy Child said...

How cute! I bet it smelled terrific!

Leslie said...

That is so cute!!! Looks like fun.

Sherri said...

Can I come play at your house???...I mean my kids1;) (Since I am the biggest kid...around here!)

Marcy Grauer said...

Visiting from cheerios & lattes! What a fun way to explore your senses :)


maryanne @ mama smiles said...

This play dough is perfect for summer!

Beth ( said...

The coconut lime playdough sounds awesome!! What a fun idea =)

Earning-My-Cape said...

How Cool! I would probably want to eat it! hahaha!
Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

Carrie said...

Oooh, that sounds great!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

so fun, that must have smelled awesome! Totally made me think f having a fruity drink on the beach :)

Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase. Hope to see you this week.

RedTedArt said...

Oh my Goodness, that playdough sounds DIVINE!!!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!


Deb Chitwood said...

What a fun playdough activity for summer, Kelly! I featured your post and photo in my Montessori-Inspired Summer Playdough Activities post at

Melissa Solomon said...

Stopping by to say Hello-and to let you know I have featured your post on my Summer Inspired Play Dough post over at Daycare Spaces and Ideas!