Friday, July 27, 2012

Swallowtail Caterpillars on our Parsley Plants

Go check your parsley plants! I can't begin to tell you how excited we are to have something, namely black swallowtail caterpillars, eating our parsley plants from our sensory garden. I noticed that our parsley was looking a little thin. Upon further inspection, we found big fat caterpillars.  A little web search told us that we had some swallowtail visitors.  

swallowtail caterpillars

We picked some of the parsley stalks that they were eating and placed them in our butterfly house.  We'll go to the nursery later today and get them their own parsley plant.  We're planning to take good care of these little fellows and hopefully, we'll be rewarded with watching a miracle of nature.  
**We've also found out that they like dill too!**





Photobucket Pin It


Linking to:  Friday's Nature Table, Science Sunday, Link and Learn, Weekly Kids Co-op

9 comments :

Lindsay said...

Very cool! I hope they turn into beautiful butterflies for you!

Christy said...

How exciting!

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

How cool is that! We just found Monarch Caterpillars on our milkweed! The girls are so excited1

Phyllis said...

I raised tons of these same butterflies when I was a child. They do eat a ton, so you might want to buy more than one plant so that one can recover and grow more while the other is being used as food. They are really pretty butterflies.

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Kim- I forgot about Monarchs liking milkweed. There is some milkweed in the garden at Little J's school. I think we'll take a walk this weekend and see if there are any caterpillars.

Phyllis- You aren't kidding! They devoured the parsley today. Fortunately, I have more outside and a couple of them look like they're ready to make their chrysalis.

heather at wordplayhouse® said...

I will never forget raising caterpillars into butterflies in my second grade classroom. We each had our own caterpillar taped to our desk—transforming in front of each of us each day. Your post here brought smiles at the thoughts of my own butterfly I set free once! ~heather

Leslie said...

We had a butterfly farm a few years ago and it was amazing watching the transition. Their wings for within minutes.. its the coolest thing!

April's Homemaking said...

How wonderful, I just love butterflies. I have left the parsley to grow flowers in hopes that the butterflies find them and lay some eggs. I will have to go and inspect hem to see if we have any caterpillar action. :)

Ticia said...

Completely unrelated to your post, but I'm super impressed you've got a successful sensory garden. I'm just not a gardener, so any successful garden impresses me.

I guess it was nominally related.

I don't know if I've said this before, but you take the most amazing photos! I've always been impressed, and a little jealous of your photography, and I don't know if I've said that.