Thursday, July 12, 2012

Paint by Number...with Sidewalk Chalk Paint!

We mixed up a batch of sidewalk chalk paint today using this recipe.  The kids have played with sidewalk chalk plenty of times, but have never painted with it. 

sidewalk chalk activities

I thought instead of having big blobs of paint everywhere (even though you can see that still happened :), that I would draw outlines of pictures for them to paint in...and then I decided to do a paint by number thing.  

To make our sidewalk chalk paint:
Mix 1 cup of warm water with 1/2 cup of corn starch.  Add a squirt of liquid dish soap and a teaspoon of washable tempera paint and mix well.  I doubled the recipe and divided it among yogurt cups before adding the paint color ( I just used a little less paint).  It will be pretty thin, but you want it to be this way.  It's hard to paint large areas when it's too thick.  

how to make sidewalk chalk paint

I used sidewalk chalk to draw pictures for each of the kids and then wrote in numbers in each section of the drawing to correspond with a paint color.  Then I marked the yogurt containers with the correct numbers.  

If you do this, you'll want to make pictures that don't have a lot of detail to them.  


sidewalk chalk paint

Sassyfras had an ice cream cone to paint, Juiciness had a fish, and Little J had a robot.  Juiciness went a little rogue on his picture, but he sure had fun doing it.  They used sidewalk chalk to add in details once their pictures dried.

Photobucket

Now, about the staining part.  It was going to be a rainy afternoon here, so I was happy about that.  For the most part, all of the pictures washed away easily.  However, the red stained the cement.  Even when I hosed it down it didn't wash away.  I had to put some oxiclean on it before it would wash away.  It finally did, but I won't use red again.  I will make this paint for them again, but I'll stick to lighter colors.



Little Wonders' Days 

Linking to:  Weekly Kids Co-op, For the Kids Friday, TGIF!, The Sunday Showcase, Kid's Get Crafty, Link and Learn

7 comments :

Lindsay said...

I love the paint by number idea! I am sure it helped the activity last longer!

Raising a Happy Child said...

My husband wouldn't appreciate staining part, so thanks for the warning. Interesting idea to turn this into "paint by numbers"!

Raina @ Mamacita Spins The Globe said...

Great Idea!

Sherri said...

I have been meaning to do side walk paint...and you always know how to add a whole new touch..paint by number! Brilliant!!

maggy, red ted art said...

Ooh fabulous that you made your own paint! Such fun.

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

The paint by number idea with chalk is brilliant! And love that you made your own paint! Bummer about the red staining!

Mackenzie said...

Great ideas! My little guys would love this! We'd love to invite you to join us at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know everyone will love your great kid-friendly ideas! Have a great weekend!
Mackenzie :)
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/