Thursday, July 5, 2012

How to Make a Paper Bag Book

Our summer bucket list pull the other day was "Make paper bag books".  I have to say this was a BIG hit with my kids!  I highly recommend trying it with your kids. They spent at least an hour on their first decorating session and then came back to do more work on their books.  

paper bag books

What you'll need
paper bags 
paper cutter or scissors
art supplies (we used: water color paints, acrylic paints, colored pencils, crayons, sequins, scrapbook papers and cut outs, gold leaf gilding, and glue)

    How to make a paper bag book
    How to make your book
  • Start by opening your paper bags and cutting them into sections.  We made our bags 10"x14", but you can do any size you choose.  We just used two sections, folded that give you 8 pages (including the cover and back) to decorate.  
  • Then crumple your sections over and over until they are nicely wrinkled.  This is a fun hand strengthening activity!
  • Wet the crumpled papers thoroughly with water.  Not too long though, we made the mistake of soaking a sheet too long and it fell apart when I tried to open it.
  • Unfold them so they're flat and set them in the sun to dry.  
  • Once they are dry, fold them in half to make a book.  Trim edges to make them even.  We didn't bind our books.
  • Have fun decorating, writing a story, making a scrapbook, or making lists of your favorite things.  Anything goes!
  • Helpful hint...if you use grocery bags, like we did, every other page will have printing on it.  We either painted over the printing or glued scrapbook papers over it.

paper bag crafts

I have to explain Little J's book (above left photo).  We recently watched the Incredibles, so he was making his own super hero story.  The cover of his book says, "Oh no.  ...sst boom".  I was a bit concerned at first, but he told me it was supposed to be the character Bomb Voyage getting caught.  He used the inside of his book to write his story.  Sassyfras and Juiciness used their books to make artwork.

Little Wonders' Days


Stacey said...

What a great idea! I love projects that get the kids thinking about writing.

Raising a Happy Child said...

It looks awesome - I like the idea of making them crinkly first. J's book is very funny!

Christy said...

Fun idea! We made paper bag wind socks yesterday - we love to use paper bags for crafts.

Ticia said...

So, I was thinking completely different paper bag book than what you did, super cute!

Sherri said...

I love paper bag books...but I think your just made it a magical always! :)

Earning-My-Cape said...

Very cute and fun idea!
Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

I love this idea! I've had a similar idea pinned for awhile and your post really makes me want to try it! Love the Oh No Sst Boom! :)

Multiples Mom said...

That is a great idea. Please consider linking this post (and any other posts about arts, crafts and play activities for children) to my new weekly Wednesday linky called Artsy Play Wednesday on Capri + 3. I hope to see you there this Wednesday (July 11th) and each Wednesday. Feel free to add as many related links as you would like.

: 0 ) Theresa

Carrie said...

What a wonderful activity!! I love it!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Krissy Sherman Bonning said...

So FUN! I love how you let them use the gold leaf - so fancy. :) Thanks for linking up with the Kids Co-Op last week.