Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Frozen Lego Rescue Game

One of the kids pulled "Lego block rescue" from our summer bucket the other day.  Little J said, "What???  what's that?"  I said, "Oh that...throw it back, let's do a different one".  I secretly fished it back out and set up for a Lego block rescue that night.  This is what we did and it was FUN!

Lego Game, Lego Party, Frozen Legos

Last summer I saw a superhero scavenger hunt game that got me thinking how we could do it too.  My kids don't really play with superhero figures, but Legos are staple around here.  I'm not sure there is a day they don't play with them...except for maybe this morning.  Someone took all the Legos!

Frozen Legos

The kids found this note in one of the Lego boxes!  Oh no!  They ran to the freezer, not there.  They ran all over searching for their beloved legos until I suggested maybe we should look outside.

Frozen Legos

Hey, here they are, but they're frozen!  Maybe we can knock the ice blocks together, or lick them, or hose them down to get them loose.  

It was pretty warm outside and the kids had a great time spraying each other with the hose and getting all the Lego pieces loose.  While we waited for our clothes to dry out a little, we had popsicles and played a few games before heading back inside with our Lego blocks.  

Lego games

How to Make a Lego Rescue
I purchased a small, new Lego set, but you can use the blocks you already have. I put the pieces in ziploc plastic containers, added water, and froze them over night.  Then,  hid the other lego blocks and left a note in one of the Lego boxes that the Lego blocks were missing on our kitchen table.


I called the kids to the kitchen and then ran out the back door to hide the Lego ice blocks.  You'll need to be smart about the timing so they don't melt before they are found.  They had fun on the hunt and I let them decide how they would get the blocks loose.  Once they had them freed we put them back in the containers and took them inside to dry them.  


I sat down with the kids and the directions and helped them build.  Well, really Little J helped the two little ones build it.  It turns out that I'm not too skilled at following Lego directions!

Frozen Lego Game

Our Lego block rescue was easy and a super fun summer activity.



Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  Tuesday Tots, Show me What Ya Got, Summer Fun Linky, Earning My Cape, It's Playtime!, Weekly Kid's Co-op, Sun Scholars, TGIF!, Creative Genius, Sharing Saturday, Cheerios and Lattes, The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn, Outdoor Play Party

19 comments :

Ticia said...

Oh my boys would go nuts if I did this to them.......

Gina said...

What a fun idea! :)

Christy said...

This will be a hit here!

Lindsay said...

Looks like so much fun! I might just grab some toys for Sammy to free tomorrow!

Sherri said...

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!1

Mom and Kiddo said...

This is such a great spin on the "freeze a toy" activity!

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love it! Thanks for sharing.

Angela said...

Another great idea! I love visiting your blog...super inspiring! :)

Earning-My-Cape said...

How fun!!!
Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

jmommymom said...

This is a really cool and fun activity. Did you know that this activity also has a lot of practical application? We did something a bit similar when studying the burial mounds of people who used to live on the Asian plains. The activity helped the kids understand how scientist excavate frozen sites.

http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/03/scythian-history-co-op-week-6-burial.html

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very clever! I can see how fun it was for them.

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a fun idea! Seriously, you come up with such great ideas!

Keitha said...

That looks like so much fun! We have had ice treasures before but never with Legos. Did any of the Legos crack? Some of the toys I have used in our ice blocks have cracked.

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Keitha,

That's a really good question and one that I worried about when I was setting up for the game, but no, none of them cracked. They were only frozen for just over 24 hours though.

atnumber29 said...

this is brilliant! Will definately use this idea to brighten up next week!

Molly said...

what a wonderful idea! I think i'll be reading lots of your blog! I pinned this so i dont forget it! Thnaks!!

Rebecca said...

That is so cool. I love it!

I wonder what toys I can hide.....

Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

Carrie said...

So fun!! Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Mary Catherine said...

Such fun! I love the note you left there, as well.