Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Breakfast Picnic at the Blueberry Farm

I read a post at Rhythm of the Home about having a strawberry picking picnic and I thought, well, yes!  Where we pick blueberries is a beautiful and quiet location, yet we pick our berries and rush home to enjoy them.  Why not stay and enjoy a little picnic?  

blueberry picking picnic, summer picnic

breakfast picnic

Our picnic was a simple breakfast.  I made sure our basket had all the essentials (blanket, plates, napkins etc) the night before our outing.  In the morning I added some blueberry yogurts and then we stopped by a local bakery and picked up some fresh blueberry muffins and chocolate milk to add to our picnic basket.  You can see my post "Easy Picnic Ideas" here.

blueberry picking picnic, breakfast picnic

We were fortunate that it rained the previous night and it was much cooler this morning.  Although, we had to contend with wet grass, it was a small price to pay for a 70 degree morning!  It was so pretty at the farm.  The kids just wander down the rows and pick beautiful berries.  This farm, while not labeled "organic", doesn't spray the bushes.  That made me feel a bit better since there was lots of "sampling the goods" along the way.  Still, I brought some homemade fruit wash with me so we could have some clean berries at our picnic...see below.

blueberry picking picnic, breakfast picnic

homemade fruit wash

Homemade Berry Wash
I brought one container that had 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon juice in it.  To wash our berries, I simply put them in the wash, swirled them around a bit, and let them sit for a couple of minutes.  Then, I drained them and rinsed them in a container of water.

blueberry picking

I generally bring a towel for dirty feet and I'm so glad I remembered this year!  You can see more of my blueberry picking tips in this post from last summer.


Photobucket Pin It


Linking to:  Show and Tell, Year Round Blog Carnival:Summer, Weekly Kids Co-op, For the Kids Friday, Creative Genius, Sharing Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn, Better in Bulk

16 comments :

Phyllis said...

I love this idea. A breakfast picnic sounds wonderful and I love berry picking!

Ticia said...

I need to remember this for next spring, and it'll be more of a lunch. The nearest place for picking berries is over an hour away.....

Christy said...

I love the picnic idea. We will be picking fruit soon, so the picnic is a must-do. I love your basket, any chance you got it at a chain store?

Christy said...

Did I miss something? What is the baking soda for?

Raising a Happy Child said...

It's so awesome that your kids will have those special memories from their summer. I am sure they enjoyed this trip!

Gina said...

What a wonderful idea! Breakfast is my favorite meal and I never think to go on a breakfast pinic. I love the ideas from your "Easy Picnic Ideas" too!

Kelly said...

Hi Christy,

Thanks! The basket is from Whole Foods. They come in various sizes and all different patterns. I have a couple of them and absolutely love them. They can carry pretty heavy loads without getting damaged.

As for the baking soda, I used it in the fruit wash I brought with me. I knew the kids would want some berries with breakfast.

Christy said...

Thanks! I will check our Whole Foods!

Lindsay said...

What a wonderful idea!! I now need to find a place to pick blueberries ;-)

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

Your readers might enjoy our Blueberry post we shared with recipes, books and songs. We love blueberry picking at our house! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/05/30-ways-to-eat-blueberries.html

The Bubblegum Tree said...

Such a sweet time! I love the breakfast picnic idea! Much better to pick in the morning than the hot July afternoon.

Bethany

The Bubblegum Tree

Brooke Arellano said...

Looks like it was a great time!! I'm stopping by from the Blog Hop and am now a new follower:) Would love for you to stop by Crazy Mama Drama!
http://crazy-mama-drama.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Mama-Drama/259491484156846

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Such a lovely idea! Your photos are beautiful! We recently went berry picking too, but seeing your pics makes me want to go again!

Carrie said...

OH, how fun!! We have been meaning to get blueberry picking. I'm hoping to go next week. Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Angela said...

This is such a great idea! Looks like so much fun :) I love the bolga basket!!! LOVE those!

sunnymama said...

It looks such a lovely picnic and lots of fun! Thank you so much for sharing this and your other wonderful summer posts at the All Year Round Summer Carnival. I hope you'll join us again at the Autumn Carnival starting soon. :)