Friday, June 22, 2012

Kids Serve Yourself Breakfast Tray

My kids are larks.  They are awake every morning no later than 6:00!  I'm trying to get them to sleep a little later, at least during the summer.  I'm a morning person too, but I sure would love to linger in bed just a little longer.  What usually brings them to my room is their hungry tummies.  So, I thought perhaps making a little self serve breakfast tray might buy me a few minutes in the morning.  We won't use it every morning because I do like making a hot breakfast a few days each week, but it will be nice to let them be self sufficient some days as well.

breakfast bar, breakfast tray, ideas for kids

breakfast bar

breakfast tray, breakfast bar


I used a tray to hold everything they would need to start a little breakfast for themselves.  There is an easy to use canister (found at Target) filled with Cheerios and a scoop to get them out too.  They love fruit in the morning, so I washed some berries and set them in a bowl.  Bowls, spoons, glasses, and napkins are all there too.  I filled a small pitcher with milk and set it in the refrigerator where they could reach it.  I supervised the first morning to make sure they knew how to get everything they needed and then they were on their own.  This is where having lots of Montessori practical life training comes in handy!


Little Wonders' Days Pin It


Linking to:  Sun Scholars, Kid's Weekly Coop, TGIF!, Ready4Summer Blog Party, Creative Genius, Sharing Saturday, Be Different Act Normal, Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn, Montessori Monday, Simply Link Party, Making the World Cuter, Made by You Monday

15 comments :

Lindsay said...

I hope that gives you some more time to wake up in the morning :-) Looks like a great solution to me!

Sherri said...

This is a brilliant idea!!!
My kids are sleepers...but night owls...and I still want to make a breakfast bar...lunch and dinner too! :)

Phyllis said...

Great idea! The tray has the potential for all sorts of serve-yourself breakfasts!

Colleen Sullivan said...

Fantastic idea! I'll keep this one in mind when Owen is old enough. At 5 months he's not even on solids yet!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This is awesome!! A breakfast kids can actually make!!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF - I ALWAYS enjoy seeing your posts =-) If you have a moment I'd love your vote in Circle of Moms Top 25 Homeschooling blogs (http://www.circleofmoms.com/top25/Top-25-Homeschooling-Moms-2012) - Thanks!!
Beth
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com

Gina said...

Wow! I love this idea! I can't wait until my little guy is old enough to try this. I bet this makes them feel so special! :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

Nice! My daughter is not an early riser, probably in self-preservation. My husband is extremely grumpy if woken up before 7 (actually, make it 8). On weekends she usually goes downstairs and gets herself some Cheerios as she is only allowed to bounce into our room at 9 am. I love sleeping in days :)

Christy said...

Genius! Love it! My kids are early risers too!

Ticia said...

Thankfully I've trained my kids not to get up too early, and then to get their breakfast mostly on their own......

Heather said...

It's kind of like an invitation to play...except it's an invitation to eat! :)

Mommy to the Princesses said...

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing

Amie (Triple T Mum) said...

Beautiful presentation! I too have an early riser and I think it is hunger related. We leave out a bowl of cereal, a banana and bottle of water for him to tuck into. It gives us 15 minutes to accept the fact that we're going to have to get up! He's only 34 months :)

Charlotte Taylor-Page said...

This is a great idea! My son is too little to make his own breakfast, but that doesn't stop him trying, I think this would satisfy his craving for independence(and only a few more years till I get a lie in!!)

Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you there this week too!

Charlotte
makedoandfriend.com

Carrie said...

What a great idea!! I usually get up and grab something for my little one to eat and then have her listen to books on CD while I rest more. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

pauline@lessonslearntjournal.com said...

What a clever and lovely setup. I'm Pauline and I blog over at http://lessonslearntjournal.com. I will feature this post as part of my roundup of this week's linky party and also pin a picture from your post onto our very popular Weekly Kids' Co-op interest board :).