Friday, June 29, 2012

The National Zoo, Road Trip with Nana 2012

After leaving Charlottsville, VA, we headed north to Washington DC.  We checked into our hotel, freshened up and headed out to find the Metro.  Juiciness was a little frightened of going into the darkness underground, but in the end, he loved the experience as did the other two.  

Photobucket

Our first stop was The National Zoo.  Little J and I had visited here when he was a baby.  I'll have to say our visit was "just ok".  It was a really hot day and there is a lot of walking at this zoo to see not as many animals as I would expect.  However, the kids had never seen a real panda bear and were excited to see them.  We made sure to take several refreshment breaks and went for ice cream after our visit.  I think I finally cooled down after a dip in our hotel's rooftop pool.  


My tip for today, is to remember to take little "refresher" breaks when you're traveling with young kids, especially when visiting busy cities.  It can be quite overwhelming for them (and you) when they aren't accustom to it.  


Here's a list of some of the things my kids like to do for a mini breaks.
  • Swim in the hotel pool
  • Play with quiet toys I brought with us. (coloring materials, books, legos, magnetic figures, etc)
  • Watch a movie 
  • Visit a small garden
  • Tour the hotel (somehow helping me do the laundry seems interesting now!)
  • Make a special trip to the vending machine or pop popcorn that I brought with us.




Little Wonders' Days Pin It

6 comments :

Lindsay said...

Glad you guys had fun! The National Zoo is definitely a lot of walking for not many animals.. At least you guys got to see some new to you ones :-)

Phyllis said...

We like the Baltimore Zoo much more than the National Zoo. Hope you catch some Smithsonian while you are in DC.

Sarah said...

The Nat'l Zoo can be great...we went in February when we had a 70 degree day and it was awesome, all the animals were out and the kids had a blast. Went back in late April 80 degree day and we barely saw anything. I also don't like how it's always under construction!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love the National Zoo! What great tips for mini trips. JDaniel has never used a vending machine. I bet he would think it was cool.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We were contemplating going to Washington DC this summer, but it just doesn't sound like the best time to visit because of the heat. Great tips!

Deceptively Educational said...

We've been to the National Zoo too! It's beautiful there. Thanks for sharing your trip! I hope we can make it there next time we visit relatives in the area. It was great reliving our last trip through your photos!