Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Fun, A visit to the Mexican Grocery Store, and Fresh Homemade Margaritas!

Cinco de Mayo activities for kids


We're learning a little bit about Mexico since Cinco De Mayo is tomorrow.  We visited a little Mexican grocery store today as part of our Friday fun.  The kids were primarily attracted to the various sweets in the store, but they were also interested in some of the fruits and veggies available too.  While many things are available at our traditional grocery store, there were plenty of unusual items too...not to mention everything was written in Spanish!

cinco de mayo for kids


We picked up some things to try our hand at making tortillas tomorrow.  I think the kids will really enjoy mixing the dough and using this press.

Photobucket


These cookies were the one sweet that I gave into.  They are sugar cookies, which we rarely have, but the kids think are wonderful.  I think they've mostly had them at their Grammy and Pop's.

Cinco De Mayo activities for kids


They do look pretty on a plate.  My favorite was the chocolate, but everyone seemed to like a different flavor. 


homemade margarita recipe


Now for the special treat for just the adults in the house...fresh homemade margaritas!  I made fresh homemade margaritas on the rocks for my husband and me to enjoy tonight while the kids finished their fresh limeade

homemade margarita recipe


I mixed equal parts of fresh squeezed lime, lemon, and orange juices, simple sugar syrup (recipe to follow), and tequila.  Now if you're going to go to the expense and trouble of juicing all these fruit juices, I recommend you use a good tequila.  I prefer Patron Silver.

Fresh Margaritas
1 cup lime juice
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup orange juice
1 cup simple sugar syrup
1 cup tequila

Stir, serve over ice in a salt rimmed glass.

To make the simple sugar syrup, bring one cup of water to a boil and add 2 cups of sugar.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and cool completely in the refrigerator.



Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  Saturday Sharing, It's Playtime!, For the Kids Friday

8 comments :

Lindsay said...

yum!! All of it!! Yum :-)

Christina Morley said...

I think a cultural outing is a fantastic idea! I grew up as an "army brat" and ended up living overseas and visiting lots of different countries. I suppose that is one reason why I became a missionary. The thing is, I believe I got more education from travelling than I did in a classroom. http://happymomshappyhomes.blogspot.com and http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

Phyllis said...

What fun! We had virgin Margaritas last night for the boys, although ours were from the store. Your homemade versions sounds wonderful! A tortilla press! What fun!

Christy said...

Oh yum. I don't think we have any Mexican groceries around here. We are making the limeade you posted today. I love a good margarita; I love a good mojito even more!!! I will not be having either though because I am still breastfeeding - next year!!!!! We have had a lot going on around here so I have been a bit out of the loop in blogland.

Raising a Happy Child said...

How neat to visit a local Mexican grocery! We are also lucky to have a lot of ethnic groceries around us - it's almost like visiting another country!

Ticia said...

You know of all the ethnic grocery stores we've been to, we've never been to a Mexican one...... I should try that.

Sarah said...

margaritas are my all time favorite summer time drink so I'll have to try your recipe! Also, I totally remember eating those sugar wafers as a kid, yummy! :)

Amanda said...

I've always just used store bought margarita mix, but now that I know it's so easy to make my own - I definitely will. Thanks so much for sharing!

I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays, going on now through Wednesday! Hope to see you there!
http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/05/martha-monday-link-up-party.html