Thursday, April 12, 2012

Strawberry Meringues

Photobucket

The kids helped me make strawberry meringues using this recipe from allrecipes. It is a very simple and good recipe. They are a little sweet for my taste, so I will probably decrease the sugar a bit next time. Also, I had to cook mine about 20 minutes longer than the recipe called for as mine were still chewy. Your meringue should not be chewy!
Photobucket

Sassyfras helped cut the strawberries for the topping. She did a great job! They're not all uniformly cut, but they're cut. There was only one problem with my plan...this girl can eat her weight in berries. When she finished cutting them up, she brought me her finished bowl and well, about a fourth of the berries were there! Good thing we had plenty more.
Photobucket

The topping is a simple fresh whipped cream and strawberries. The recipe calls for powdered sugar in the whip cream, but since the meringues were already really sweet, I omitted all but 2 tablespoons of the powdered sugar. We garnished it with a sprig of spearmint from our sensory garden. The kids loved picking from their garden already!

Photobucket



I link to these parties

8 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

This looks super yummy! What's your trick of separating yolks from whites?

Emily Wheeler said...

Yummy!

Sherri said...

Wonderful

Phyllis said...

What a lovely idea for a dessert. I bet it was tasty and it sure is visually appealing!! Wonderful!

Ticia said...

You had me at strawberries, and then there was more.......

Lindsay said...

Yum these look delicious!!

Growing a Jeweled Rose said...

YUM!

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

Looks tasty. We like a little bit of chewy and crunchy in our meringues (maybe we are odd!) :-)

I have a linky for sharing baking/cooking with kids and would love you to join in

http://happywhimsicalhearts.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/happy-lil-s-are-baking-16-and-giveaway.html

Warmly, Kelly