Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sensory Gardening with Kids

Oops!!  I accidentally deleted my original post, ugh. 

Anyway, last year we made a sensory garden on our deck...a garden to appeal to all our senses.  It was such a fun and useful garden that we wanted to make one this year too.  The kids and I headed to the nursery early in the morning and picked out mostly organic herbs and some flowers.  We still have our veggies and some seeds to plant and some garden art elements to set out, but it's looking pretty good.

kids sensory garden, gardening with kids

The kids have gotten pretty good at gardening.  They are very gentle with the plants and know how to plant them.  I made some strawberry/lime infused water for refreshments while planting, delicious!

kids sensory garden


Right now, most of our plantings are organic herbs, but we'll be adding flowers with vibrant colors or interesting textures.  Our sensory garden has something to interest all our senses.  We have veggies and herbs for tasting and flowers and herbs for smelling.  There is comfortable seating, smooth river rocks, and plants with interesting textures for touch.  Wind chimes and small fountains make for pleasant listening.  And of course the whole thing is fun to look at, but there are some garden art pieces that we especially enjoy looking at too.

Herbs in our Garden
tarragon
lavender
Thai basil
basil
spearmint
peppermint
pineapple sage
thyme
parsley



Kelly

20 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

Your herb garden looks wonderful. Our weather suddenly turned iffy, but so far tomatoes and peas are doing well. We'll see how they will do in April.

Linda said...

My granddaughter would love this also. Thanks for sharing. linda

Sherri said...

I am pretty sure there is magic at your home!!! EVERYDAY!!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I have been dying to start an herb garden. Now I want to create one even more.

Jackie H. said...

What a great idea to engage all of the senses. That gives me a good inspiration for a little garden I wanted to plant with the boys.

Alissa @ Creative with Kids said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I really want to do a senses garden with my kids.

Thanks for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! ~Alissa & Maggy

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I have always wanted an herb garden! I have never thought of growing peppermint. Lovely! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

hannahw said...

We have added a few more raised beds to our gardening adventures!

I followe you from For the Kids Fraiday. Here is our offering this week: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/wonderfull-full-of-wonder-wednesday_11.html

jenny @ let the children play said...

Love! We love our sensory garden at preschool - the kids love smelling the plants, and snipping them to add to our cooking or tea.

Rebekah said...

We have started using one of our planter beds for something very similar. I have found herbs very easy to grow which means it's great for kids too.

Your sensory garden looks lovely! Thank you for sharing at The Outdoor Play Party!

Sheryl @ Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds said...

Perfect timing! We want to do this. Thank you!

Eco Safe Pest Control said...

Thanks for sharing your awesome blog! More power!

hannahw said...

Very nice! My "No Time for Flashcards" post is a look at our week of playschool-- http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

Carrie said...

Love this idea!! We have been working on our senses lately. I will definitely have to try this. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having an amazing week!

Carrie said...

Just wanted to let you know I featured this at Sharing Saturday this week. I hope you will stop by and grab a Featured button. Have a great weekend!!

abbie said...

What a great idea for a garden! I love all the elements that you included. Thanks for linking this up to the outdoor play party.

sunnymama said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing it with our spring carnival. :)

Ticia said...

I completely missed this post. I think it must have been while I was traveling, and it sounds delightful.

Anonymous said...

Cool ideas
Here is one that everyone has to try at least once. Grow a pet TickleMe Plant from seeds and watch how this unique house plant moves like an animal

Kelly said...

I had to look up a tickle me plant. Steve Spanglers website has them and they do look like they would be to learn about and grow. Thanks for mentioning them.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days