Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Carrot Seed, A Homemade Root Viewer

Toddler Approved virtual bookclub pick for this month is The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss.  Sassyfras and Juiciness really enjoyed this simple book.  They have been very active in our gardening this year, so I think it hit their interests. 

Photobucket

I asked the kids if they thought the boy's carrot seed would grow and they excitedly said, "Yes"! However, when the green of the carrot was shown on one of the pages I asked them, "Where is the orange part of the carrot?" Sassyfras and Juiciness didn't know! Little J has grown carrots before, so he knew, but I never thought about the other two not realizing where the rest of the carrot was.
Photobucket

I decided that we should plant some carrot seeds and see for ourselves.  I thought planting them so we could see the roots would be a fun way to do it. I'm sure the carrot will be small, but at least we can see it growing. We made our version of a root viewer.  It was quite a bit cheaper than the ones I was seeing online.   

Photobucket

Supplies
carrot seeds
clear juice glasses
seed starting pellets
water
spoon

Photobucket

Each of the kids planted their own glass.  They started by adding 4 soil pellets and pouring water over them until they were fully expanded.
Photobucket

I think they enjoyed watching the soil pellets "pop" open just as much as planting their seeds!

Photobucket

Once the soil pellets expanded they used a spoon to spread the dirt around and make a smooth surface for their seeds.
Photobucket

They added about 5 seeds to their glass.  They know that if all the seeds start to sprout that we will need to thin them to one or two plants.  Our seed packet tells us that we should see them sprout in about 2 weeks.  Until then, we have them in a nice spot outside and the kids are watering their plants as needed. 

Photobucket Pin It
Linking to:  For the Kids Friday, Toddler Approved, It's Playtime!, TGIF!, The Kids Co-Op, The Sunday Showcase

16 comments :

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a cute project! I love the book The Carrot Seed...it's so cute. Megan

Rebekah said...

What a great idea to learn about carrots and growing!

Phyllis said...

I love that book. Makes me wish my boys were younger. :) As always, you have photographed this project so well.

Kristina said...

My son would love this activity! We will definitely have to try it. Thanks for participating in book club this month!

Marnie @ Carrots are Orange said...

Love this book and activity project! Great images too! Thanks for sharing!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I hope to see an update on your carrots in a couple of weeks. How fun for the kids to actually see them grow.

Danielle said...

I have never used the pellets before, I need to get some of those and let my kids experience that! Thanks for joining us for the Virtual Book Club this month!

Susan said...

Wow, this is very interesting !
A beginning in gardening. I was looking for this kind of activity before. Will you post the after picture of this activity ? How the roots are, how they see it, etc. I would really like to know. Thanks.

Keitha said...

What a fun project! We just planted the seeds for our little herb garden. My son is so excited about getting to eat them.

Sherri said...

This is great fun!
My kids love carrots...so they will love all this carrot fun!

lyndsay @ ourfeministplayschool said...

I love gardening with my guy! A great, great way to make connections with the literature.

MaryAnne K said...

I love your homemade root viewer - brilliant idea!

Amanda said...

Delightful! I never have enough patience to water the carrots in a container. I did try radishes this year and didn't get them to work. Guess I am better at just sowing them in the dirt! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

Ooooh, love this idea of a root viewer. Definitely going to try this with my kids.

Amie (Triple T Mum) said...

Stopping by from Triple T Mum. I LOVE this project. My kids will love it too. One to put on my Spring Pinterest board, for sure! I am featuring this on my Kids Coop Showcase on Thursday. Stop by and pick up your Featured at... badge. Thanks for sharing with the Kids Coop!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

what a fun project! We recently sprouted & grew 6" tall peas in bags tapped to the window. I love all the fun gardening projects =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I look forward to seeing what you link up this week,
Beth =-)