Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April's Book Basket and Poetry Fun

April is National Poetry Month and we've been reading from various books each morning or evening. I wasn't sure if the kids would enjoy it or not, but I'm happy to say they actually request I read more. I think the key has been to pick books geared to their age, interest, and have some colorful pictures. Little J seems to enjoy silly poems the best, while Juiciness and Sassyfras enjoy ones about animals best.

poetry for kids

Sassyfras, the upper left picture, is drawing in response to Margaret Wise Brown's poem "Green Grass and Dandelions".  Little J in the lower left is drawing in response to Rose Fyleman's poem "Mice".  The lower right picture is one Juiciness drew in response to Aileen L. Fisher's poem "Caterpillars".  According to him, he drew the entire life cycle - egg, caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly. 

poetry for kids

I made blank books for each of the kids to make their own poetry books. I used construction paper for the cover and blank pages for the inside for Sassyfras and Juiciness. They don't write yet, but they are really into drawing right now. I put lined pages in Little J's book as well, so he could write his own poems. They've almost filled their books, so it looks like I'll be making more soon.



Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  Wednesday's Wowzers, ABC and 123, stART, TGIF!, For the Kids Friday, The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn

9 comments :

Lindsay said...

What fun!! Sammy loves silly poems as well!

Phyllis said...

My Quentin is really into making his own books now, too.

Onna said...

This is such a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

Raising a Happy Child said...

How fun! Anna also loves silly poems. I like your idea of drawing in response to the poem. I plan to share some of our poetry books in WMCIR post this week.

Christina Morley said...

Thank you for this beautiful post! What a great way to encourage a love for poetry! I have a poetry blog that you might like for yourself and today I added one poem that is suitable for children called "One Little Bird." It teaches getting up again once you've been knocked off your game - so to speak. It has a Christian message toward the end, but readers who would like to share it with their children who aren't of the Christian faith can leave off the stanza about the Gospel and still get a full poem experience. Blessings, Tina http://considertheliliespoetry.blogspot.com/2012/04/one-little-bird.html

Jamie @ The Unlikely Homeschool said...

Great ways to introduce poetry into the school day. Thanks for sharing. Here from ABC/123. wwwtheunlikelyhomeschhol.com

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Fun ideas for kids!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Keitha said...

We love poems too! Thanks for sharing this sweet post.

Christy said...

This is great! My kids love poetry. We have been so sick that I haven't been here in a while!