Monday, March 19, 2012

Printmaking Easter Eggs

print making easter eggs

Toddler Approved hosts a monthly virtual book club and this month's book is The Easter Egg by Jan Brett. I was fortunate enough to get a copy from the library, but I think I will be adding it to our collection soon.

print making easter eggs

The Easter Egg by Jan Brett is wonderfully written and beautifully illustrated, as most of her books are. It fit right into our bird theme unit study we have been doing.  Our go along craft for this book was to make "Printmaking Easter eggs".  

print making easter eggs 

Supplies
oil cloth mat or something similar
masking tape or painters tape
tempera or acrylic paint
foam paint brush
white cardstock paper
qtips

Printmaking Easter Eggs via Little Wonders' Days
How
  1. Using masking tape, outline the shape of an egg on the oil cloth.  If you prefer, you could make a square then use egg shaped cardstock paper.
  2. Paint inside the taped outline.  Try not to get any on the tape or your edges will be smudged.
  3. Use qtips to make a design in the paint.
  4. Press the cardstock onto the paint/design and press all over.
  5. Swiftly lift the cardstock off and allow to dry.
  6. Wipe any excess paint off the oil cloth and start again!
  
Printmaking Easter Eggs via Little Wonders' Days

Tips
Don't use too much paint or your design will smear.
Don't use too many colors or your eggs will be brown.
Wipe your excess paint off your surface sooner than later.


Printmaking Easter Eggs via Little Wonders' Days

printmaking Easter Eggs


Photobucket

24 comments :

Sheila said...

Great post, Kelly! I wish had seen this earlier - I would have used it for our Easter Club at school. I'll file it away for next year, though.

Phyllis said...

Wonderful! Simple but beautiful.

Wonder Mom said...

I love it! You have inspired me for an idea for our Easter decorating now...yahoo!

Angela said...

What a neat idea!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

Amy@Let's Explore said...

Cute! My girls will love this - on our to-do list for sure! :)

Michelle said...

So cute! I love it! Pinning. :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a cute idea - can't wait to try it with my kiddos this spring break!

Lindsay said...

This is very cool!! I wonder if I can do it with contact paper? I might have to try that this week!

Raising a Happy Child said...

How neat! This is not what would occur to me with that book, but it worked out beautifully!

SpartanGirl said...

Oh, I LOVE this idea! Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to try this with my kids!

maggy, red ted art said...

Oooh didn't they turn out wonderfully!!

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy & Alissa

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They turned out so pretty!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

These are really lovely! What a wonderful craft!

Savannah McQueen said...

Awesome!

MomLaur said...

So good! I need to do this! Thank you for sharing it!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

so fun! Kids love painting on things other than paper so this is nice! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

These are fantastic!

Michelle said...

I love how these came out. I waned to do some more printmaking with the girls. We will have to try this out. We love The Easter Egg, by Jan Brett. I have taken out of the library, but now that I am thinking about it I may need to get our own copy too! Also heading over to check out the virtual book club, sounds like fun :)
Thank you for sharing and linking up to stART.
~Michelle

Robyn... Pen Pals and Picture Books said...

I haven't seen this before- I love the simplicity and I'm a sucker for anything printing.

robyn @ www.penpalsandpicturebooks.com

PlainVanillaMom said...

This is such a cool activity. They look great! My kids would love this. We'll have to try it sometime :)

Aimee from Classified: Mom said...

What a fantastic idea. i would of never guessed your method of printing!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a great idea! Only you, my creative blogging friend, would think of painting on the table - genius! My kids would hesitate big time waiting for the "just kidding" =-) I Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you tomorrow =-)
Beth

rachelle | tinkerlab said...

Beautiful! I LOVE this (and my kids will too, I'm sure) and just shared it on my Facebook page.

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are wonderful! Love all the variety!