Monday, March 26, 2012

Meyer Lemon Sherbet

Meyer Lemon Sherbet recipe 

We had a welcome spring dinner this weekend.  Our dessert was homemade Meyer lemon sherbet.  We used the recipe found here with a few changes.  It was so good.  See below for our recipe edits.

Meyer Lemon Sherbet recipe 

Little J helped cut and juice the lemons.  It took about 4 Meyer lemons to make one cup of juice.  I've found that the cutting board and juicer don't slip if there is a nonstick mat under them and it makes it easier for the kids to work.

meyer lemon sherbet recipe 

How we made our sherbet
Juice 4 Meyer lemons to make about 1 cup of juice.  Zest one of the lemons.  Add juice and zest to 2/3 cups of superfine sugar, 1 cup of whole milk, and 1 cup of half and half.  The Joy of Baking has a great tip to place regular sugar in a food processor for 30 seconds if you don't have superfine sugar.  Place mixture in ice cream maker and mix until frozen.  We put it in the freezer for several hours before serving.

meyer lemon sherbet recipe 


Photobucket Pin It


Linking to:  ABC and 123, Montessori Monday, TGIF!, For the Kids Friday, Link and Learn, Made by You Monday, Saturday Dishes

13 comments :

Phyllis said...

Oh, that looks SO good! I love Meyer Lemons! I saw them at the store yesterday, but didn't pick some up. Now I am sorry I didn't! I am putting this on my bucket list for this summer for sure!

Sherri said...

That looks delicious! I love anything lemon! :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

It sounds really delicious. Good tips too!

Lindsay said...

YUM this looks delicious!!

Deb Chitwood said...

What an awesome food preparation activity ... so much fun and great for developing a number of skills! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Kids' Food Fun Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-food-fun/

Growing a Jeweled Rose said...

Oh yummy! Can't wait to try this!

Heather @ Raising Memories Blog said...

oh, I want to reach through the screen & eat some of that!!

Christine Cline said...

My little chefs will love this! They were shocked to find out that lemons actually grow on tree when they recently made their first fresh squeezed lemonade! Have to try this soon!

Christy said...

Yum!!! I make a lemon poppyseed cake for Easter and this would be great with it.

Amie said...

Oh I love anything with lemons in it. I love how you are involving your kids in the preparation and setting it up so it is safe. Well done, Mummy! Thanks for linking up to the Kids Co-op!

Nicole said...

This looks delicious! Where did you get your juicer? I have been looking for a child-friendly one. Thanks!

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Nicole,

The juicer came with a bag of lemons I bought a couple of years ago. It's actually my all time favorite juicer. Sorry I can't be more help!

Jeni IGOTTHISMARTHA said...

Sounds so yummy and refreshing! I love anything lemon!