Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Helping Nesting Birds, Make a Nesting Material Bag

bird theme preschool

We watched a Tufted Titmouse busily collecting leaves and other items while we were at the park the other day.  We assumed it was for its nest.  Which reminded us that we had read about helping the birds with nesting materials in the book "A Nest Full of Eggs" by Priscilla Beiz Jenkins.  Cornell has more information about nesting birds here.

how to make a nesting materials bag

When we got home, the kids made this bag to set out for the birds. I rummaged through my craft stash until I found some hand me down cotton potholder loops.   

Supplies we used
A mesh bag (the kids lemons come in)
hand me down all cotton potholder loops

How we did it
The kids cut the potholder loops in half and then put them in the mesh bag.  Juiciness and Sassyfras needed a little help with this...I guess using kid scissors and the loops being a little thick made it more difficult.  Little J zipped on through his pile. 

Then they pulled some of the ends through to make them easier for the birds to notice and grab.  We tied the ends closed and hung it on a tree in the backyard. 

Photobucket Pin It

Linking to:  Red Ted Art's Blog, stART, Friday's Nature Table, TGIF!,  For the Kids Friday, Link and Learn


Kavi said...

That's really cute!

Sherri said...

Now yours is too cute!
I am going to opt not to show my kids...who are usually looking over my awesome your nesting bag is..we made one...but it's....well....not as pretty! :)
Your going to have some lucky bird friends!

Raising a Happy Child said...

It will be exciting for the kids to see their nesting material gone! Good luck!

Robyn... Pen Pals and Picture Books said...

I wonder if you will be able to spot colorful bits in local trees all year? Wouldn't that be fantastic? I love it!

Christy said...

R has been very into birds lately and told me she wants to learn more. I will have to review everything you did and try them here. My kids will love this and the egg experiments!!!

maggy, red ted art said...

Such a lovely activity to do with kids! Great way to "upcycle" bits and pieces!

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy & Alissa

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

I love this idea! I hope you get to see some of your materials in a nest!

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

This is a really neat idea! I will be such fun as they explore the next later on if they are in them. Our Squirrels have recently decided that our lawn chair cushion stuffing would make great nest material for them, crazy I know. Thanks for sharing!

Amie said...

Stopping by from the Kids Co-op. Putting this one our fun autumn to-do list! Thanks for linking up to the Kids Co-op!

Beth ( said...

How creative! Your nest is so colorful!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you tomorrow =-)

cheryl said...

I've also seen nesting bags that include leftover bits from yarn (you know, those ends you trim off after weaving in the ends!) and bits of wool, too. I love this idea!