Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Nature Walk and Treasure Box

Spring Nature Walk and Treasure box

While Little J played soccer, Sassyfras, Juiciness, and I took a little walk yesterday afternoon in anticipation of spring's arrival today.  I think we're all happy to be outdoors without our coats weighing us down. 


spring nature walk with kids

I found a colorful treasure box for the kids to take with us.  It's small enough for them to carry, but big enough for all the "perfect" rocks and other treasures they find.  They have an affinity to what I call "parking lot rocks".  They all end up in my pockets and when my pockets are full, I start dropping them behind me, without them knowing of course.  Now, they can carry them until they're too heavy.

spring nature walk

hmmm, somebody needs a haircut!  It's funny that I look at this cute little guy everyday and don't notice his hair is too bushy until I see him in a picture. 

nature treasure box for kids

I think we took home all the dandelions and other weeds in the field too.  Sassyfras loves dandelions and will stop to pick them just about everywhere. 

nature treasure box for kids


Photobucket

We found this bee already dead along the path.  We carefully set it in our box to look at later. 

Photobucket

The kids sorted their treasures when we got home and picked a few to display.  Most of these items will wilt by evening, but for now they are on our nature tray.



19 comments :

Kim said...

I also drop those rocks as we walk! I love this box. I always wonder what to do with all of the things we find on our hikes.

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

I love the box idea! Must admit after we went shark teeth hunting the other day I found a tooth in my pocket a few days later after washing... next time I'll bring a tooth box. This would be great way to include to include with our spring journal. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/03/happy-1st-day-of-spring.html

Phyllis said...

I love the treasure box idea. The finds look so right somehow in it.

Emma @mummymummymum said...

i love the treasure box idea, and the nature tray! It looks like you had so much fun. xx

Growing a Jeweled Rose said...

I love the idea of carrying a treasure box on walks. We take nature walks a lot, and collect treasure. This will make them even more fun!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I loved the shots in this post. Your kids are very pretty :) A treasure box is a nice idea!

Rebekah said...

I love the idea of carrying a special box to collect nature treasures on walks.

Sherri said...

Awesome treasures!

Lindsi B said...

Beautiful shots! These boxes are GREAT ideas! I'd like to invite you to share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Friday @Toys In The Dryer http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/03/fun-stuff-fridays-16.html.

Andrea @ No Doubt Learning said...

Love this idea! We'll have to borrow the idea on our next walk! I"m a new follower :)

Robyn... Pen Pals and Picture Books said...

beautiful pictures! what a great idea to have them carry the treasures they find out and about! We'll have to start doing that too :) I found you through your kids co-op link, you can find me over at www.penpalsandpicturebooks.com

Savannah McQueen said...

Oh, I love this idea. What great memories you've captured. Please consider linking this up at my new blog hop - http://hammockhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/03/home-education-live-link-party.html

MomLaur said...

What a great idea! These are indeed treasures of God's creation! visiting from TGIF!

Carolyn @ Mama's Little Muse said...

I love nature treasure hunts! Got to get out and do this with my son! Thx!

Marnie @ Carrots are Orange said...

What a lovely, lovely hands on activity! Thank you for inspiring me!

Mama Bird said...

great idea, how cool to find a big dead bumble to examine!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a great idea! How cool that you found a bee to examine!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you tomorrow =-)
Beth

sunnymama said...

Your treasure box is gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this with our Spring Carnival. :) I featured your post in a round up of spring nature walks here:
http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/all-year-round-week-five-7-spring.html

Isil said...

Such a beautifyl way to connect with nature.I featured your post on my blog and FB page.
www.facebook.com/SmilinglikeSunshine