Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Disappearing Egg

This is the first egg experiment in a 3 part series.  See below for the other experiments' links.

Well, not completely disappearing, just the eggshell.  We've been studying birds at our house for several weeks now.  We've finally moved onto learning about their eggs.  This is the first of our science projects with eggs.  Stayed tuned for a couple more.  I found this demonstration at Steve Spangler's website.

the disappearing egg shell experiment

I labeled our vinegar and tums with both their common names and chemical formula.  I know their chemical formula (or rather the chemical formula of the main ingredient) means nothing to the kids, but I wanted to expose them to how they will eventually see things labeled. 

egg experiments for kids

The Supplies We Used
vinegar (about 2 cups)
one Tums
2 eggs- we used pasteurized eggs
2 bowls
a jar with a lid (unless you don't mind smelling vinegar for a week)
a towel


egg experiments for kids

We started our project by observing and describing our materials.  Juiciness thought the vinegar was water until he smelled it.  Our first demonstration was to see what happened when we added vinegar to the Tums.

egg experiments for kids 

Sassyfras added the vinegar to a bowl with the tums.  They immediately saw bubbling and Little J remembered that this was carbon dioxide gas being released.  We watched for awhile and in the end, most of the tums had dissolved.

egg experiments for kids

Then we moved onto observing our egg.  They used terms like hard, smooth, cold, and oval like shape to describe it.  Little J cracked one of our eggs into a bowl so we could see what was inside and get a better look at the shell.

egg experiments for kids

They found a thin membrane lining the inside of the hard shell. 

egg experiments for kids 

Little J and Juiciness wanted to touch the egg, but Sassyfras declared it too "yucky".  We tried to identify the parts of the egg using information found at Enchanted Learning.

disappearing eggshell experiment 

I explained to the kids that the eggshell was primarily made of calcium carbonate, the same ingredient in our tums.  As Juiciness put our second egg and vinegar in a jar, I asked the kids what they thought would happen.  Sassyfras thought it would crack, but Little J was able to relate back to the tums demonstration and said it would bubble.  I had to help him make the jump that it would dissolve eventually.  He just couldn't believe it was possible!

The disappearing egg experiment

We checked our egg after two hours and the kids noticed that the shell felt grainy, not smooth anymore.  This is our egg at 18 hours.  Most of the shell has dissolved and the egg feels rubbery.  

*If you do this experiment, save your egg for the next experiment, "The Shrinking Egg", in our series.*


Vocabulary Words
permeable
semipermeable
dissolve
acid
base

These were some of the words that Little J looked up and we talked about briefly.

Helpful Links
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/4h/4-H1500lesson1.pdf
Enchanted Learning



Photobucket  Pin It



10 comments :

Sherri said...

Super fun!
We also have been studying birds for weeks now...I need to get the post up...it's been fun! We are almost done with nests and moving on to eggs..I had not seen this experiment! Thanks for sharing! We will be adding this to our "BIRD" fun! :)

Lindsay said...

What fun! I think we will have to try this very soon!

Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com said...

This is so cool! I love a good science experiment! I am doing this tomorrow! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! It's perfect for spring. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

I feel like a kid right now, I'm so excited to try this experiment out! :) Thanks for sharing this!

Ticia said...

That's such a fun unit to do. I need to come back and do that again when we cycle back through flying creatures again.

Raising a Happy Child said...

Nice lesson! This is on my "to do" list for a while now.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

I love this experiment! I think it's so cool that you put the chemical formula up too--like you said, they may not appreciate it now, but it will make it less strange to them when they need it!

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

This is so cool! I never knew how much science you could do with eggs!! I am a believe that when kids play with and learn with food it helps them to be better eaters. If you'd like, I'd love if you'd link this up to "Food Adventure Friday."

http://teachinggoodeaters.blogspot.com/2012/03/food-adventure-friday-green-feast.html

Julie said...

I love this lesson! I may have to try something like this as I'm sure my kids would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing!