Saturday, March 10, 2012

Egg Cooking Experiment, Cupcakes With and Without Eggs

egg cooking experiment for kids 

We've been studying birds and have gotten up to learning about eggs.  So, for our Friday Fun, we did a little cooking science with eggs.  We made a batch of cupcakes.  Some cupcakes have eggs...and a few don't. 

egg experiment for kids

As the kids were helping mix these up, I asked them what they thought was going to happen to the cupcakes without eggs.  I heard that it wouldn't taste good or the batter would be runny and wouldn't bake.  Not bad guesses.

kids egg experiments 

I had to share this picture.  Several years ago I realized Little J could crack an egg really well and I told him he was a "master egg cracker".  Well, now every time he cracks the eggs for us he declares himself, "The master egg cracker".  I'm hoping he doesn't brag about that on the playground!
egg cooking experiment for kids 

We followed the directions on the box right up until adding the eggs.  We also added a little green food coloring to be a little festive for St. Patrick's Day.  After mixing the batter, we removed enough to fill 3 cupcake liners (different colored liners for the non egg ones).  Then, we added the eggs to the remaining batter and finished baking according to the recipe.

egg experiments for kids 

Wow, I knew the cupcakes without eggs would be flatter, but I had no idea it would be this significant.  The taste didn't seem to be affected, but it definitely changed the texture.

egg experiments for kids

In the end, we had a tasty Friday night dessert!

Here are a couple of websites that can explain why you need those eggs in your cake!


Clutter-Free Classroom said...

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a bad cupcake. :)

I've made cakes by mixing a cake mix with 1 can of Sprite. Quite yummy. That would be a whole different science experiment though.

❤Jodi from...
★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
Helping Teachers Get Organized

Christy said...

Great experiment. I love that he refers to himself as the master egg cracker!

Kim @ The Educators Spin On It said...

I can't wait to try this out in one of our Little Hands that Cook with Books lessons. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay said...

I am terrible at cracking eggs. I need to borrow your master egg cracker sometime ;-) Fun experiment!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Fantastic. This is such a great hands-on experiment. I didn't expect the difference to be so dramatic either.

Julie @ Creekside Learning said...

What a great experiment! Pinned to try with my kiddos. Thanks!

Ticia said...

My kids love to crack eggs too.

That is an amazing difference. I didn't know it would be so extreme!

Andrea@No Doubt Learning said...

WOW - so THAT's what eggs do! It's nice to have a visual! :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

This is my kind of experiment, for sure! Love it :)

Carrie said...

What a great lesson!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a great week!

jmommymom said...

I have been reading through your great egg science experiment ideas and think I will try them with my kids. - Thanks

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

This is brilliant! I love a good experiment! I'm featuring it today on my Sharing Saturday post with other Bird ideas!