Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Scratch Off Shamrocks

st patrick's day with kids, homemade scratch off cards

My scratch off valentines for the kids were a hit.  I found the directions to make scratch off paint from Family Fun and it's so easy!  So easy that I made some lucky scratch off shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day.  They'll trade them in for chocolate coins!  

You can download my template below and make your own.

st patrick's day with kids, scratch off shamrocks

Supplies
contact paper
card stock with template printed
green metallic acrylic paint
liquid dish soap
paint brush
bowl/spoon

To make the scratch off paint
Mix together 1 teaspoon of paint with one teaspoon of dish soap.  It's that simple.

Photobucket

I cut a piece of contact paper that would cover the card.  I needed some help with painting a shamrock, so the card with the black shamrocks was my template.  Before peeling the backing off the contact paper, I set it on top and painted in the shamrocks.  It took 2 coats of paint.  Once the paint was dry, I peeled the backing off and adjusted the painted shamrocks to align over the pictures.

st patrick's day with kids

St Pat Lucky Cards

st. patrick's day with kids

Photobucket

Linking to:  Red Ted Art's Blog, Wow Me Wednesday, For the Kids Friday, TGIF!, The Friday Kids Co-Op, Creative Genius Party, Fingerprints on, Once Upon a Weekend, Sharing Saturday, Show and Tell Saturday, The Sunday Showcase, Made by You Monday, ABCand123

19 comments :

RedTedArt said...

Wow! What fun! I have never used scratch of paint before. Looks great!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Phyllis said...

That is so cute!

Christy said...

LOVE this!!!!

Sherri said...

These are awesome! Great idea!
I have wanted to try scratch paint...I think this will be a good time to do it! :)

Raising a Happy Child said...

How neat! Your kids are VERY lucky :)

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

What a super fun idea, and sounds so much easier then I would have expected - popping by from TGIF

Kimberly @ The Brown Eyes Have It said...

That is so fun! The kids could win a bag of gold coins. I just might have to do this, too.

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

I'm currently a little obsessed with scratch offs and I keep thinking of all the possibilities. I love this one! What a fun little game/treat for the kids on St. Patty's morning!
I hope you don't mind but I featured you on today's Show Off Saturday!
http://www.mydecoupagedlife.com/2012/02/show-off-saturday-st-patricks-day.html

Books4Learning said...

Great activity. Thanks for sharing your template.

Carrie said...

I love these!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I just pinned them to give it a try. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing. :)

sweet and lovely crafts said...

These are so adorable. I love them. I just linked up a printable scratch ticket on Skip to my Lou today as well.

sweet and lovely crafts said...

These are so adorable. I love them. I just linked up a printable scratch ticket on Skip to my Lou today as well.

Stephanie said...

These are so cute! I'm pinning them!!
gatheredinthekitchen.com

Savannah McQueen said...

You are so smart! Thanks for sharing this. I will pin it!

Michelle said...

Ooooo! Neat! Pinning...

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

LOVE this!!! WOW - what a cool idea. I shared this on my facebook page here:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Living-Life-Intentionally/261252997248957
Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you tomorrow =-)
Beth

Julie E said...

I love scratchers. These look so fun! I would love for to share this post at my St. Patty's link up party. :)

http://whitelightsonwednesday.blogspot.com/2012/02/st-patricks-day-linky-party.html

katherine said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I've always wanted to try DYI scratch off! You always have the mots inspirational and brilliant ideas!