Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Watercolors, Hearts for Daddy

14 Days of Hearts, Day 9

I fell in love with homemade watercolor paints a year or so back.  They're so easy to make and it's nice to be able to make specific colors or shades for the kids.  Our go to recipe comes from Martha Moments.  My only complaint is that the finished product has some graininess to it that I've never been able to fix.  You might be able to see some of that in the picture below.
Photobucket

To make watercolor paints
Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of vinegar, stir until the fizzing stops.  Add a 1/2 teaspoon of corn syrup and 2 tablespoons of corn starch and mix until smooth.  I didn't have any corn starch today so, I used cake flour instead and it worked just fine.  I divide the mix into bowls and then add gel food colorings.  We let these dry overnight, sometimes we just use them right away though. 
Photobucket

I gave the kids hearts cut from watercolor paper.  It's a bit more expensive than regular paper, but the watercolors seem to work much better on this paper.   These are going to be Daddy's valentines.  I'll help Juiciness and Sassyfras write something nice later, and Little J will do his own.


Photobucket

Linking to:  Thrifty Thursday, It's Playtime!, Link and Learn, Delicate Construction, Made by You Monday


Classified: Mom

9 comments :

Christy said...

I have never made watercolors. I'll definitely try this! Very cool!!!

Sarah said...

we'll have to try this! thanks for the recipe! I love how you display your pics in a collage on your blog, is that a blogger feature?

Kelly at Little Wonders' days said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks! I use a photo editing site called Picnik, http://www.picnik.com/. Unfortunately, they are shutting down in April, but until then, the premo functions are free. So, I thought I would take advantage of them!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I have to pin this watercolors recipe! The colors look very vivid.

Fun Frugal Mommy said...

What a great post. I will have to try this recipe. I would love it if you shared on my linky party fun frugal friday. www.funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com

I am now following. : )

SarahElisabeth said...

Love the colours.

Classified Mom said...

This is fantastic- I just pinned it on Pinterest! I am GOING to do this! Thank you for sharing this with us on The Sunday Showcase ~Aimee

Growing a jeweled rose said...

This is a great recipe. The colors are so vibrant! I have pinned it to my art recipes board, and am now following you . Thanks for the great recipe :)

Lindsi B said...

Ooooh I bet daddy loved this! What a sweet keepsake for him! Would you please link up for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html