Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Truffula Pencils and Silly Word List, Celebrating Dr. Seuss's Birthday

We read The Lorax yesterday. Little J has read it several times before, but it was the first time for Juiciness and Sassyfras. I'm not sure they understood some of the nonsense words, but they definitely liked the story and the pictures. 
Truffula Pencils, Dr. Seuss's birthday, The Lorax, Dr. Seuss crafts

I wanted the kids to try to think of some words they thought were silly and then see if we could rhyme them.  First though, we made some silly pencils.  Do you remember those pencils we had as kids, the ones you could spin and their hair stood out straight?  That's what I wanted to make, but I our craft store didn't have faux fur, so we used some feather trim.  I actually like it better for our craft.  They look like Truffula trees this way!

Supplies

pencils
feather trim
hot glue gun and glue sticks
scissors
googly eyes optional
Truffula Pencils, The Lorax lesson plans, Dr. Seuss's birthday, Dr. Seuss crafts
How
Start about 2 inches below the eraser and place a strip of hot glue up to the eraser.  Then, attach the feather trim.  Put glue over the top of the eraser and down the other side of the pencil and attach more trim.  We finished by putting some more glue and then wrapping the trim around the pencil.  Only Sassyfras wanted googly eyes on her pencil. 
Little J could do this craft with help.  Sassyfras and Juiciness picked out their pencil, trim, and eyes and we made the pencils for them.

Truffula Pencils, Dr. Seuss's birthday, The Lorax

While Little J brainstormed silly words, Sassyfras and Juiciness scribbled busily in their new notebooks.

I made this page for Little J to brain storm a list of silly words and then try to rhyme them with other words...or maybe some nonsense words.  After all, Dr. Seuss was ingenious at making those nonsense words work. 
Silly Word List 2


Photobucket

18 comments :

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

I love your Dr. Seuss inspired pencils! I would love if you would come and share a link to this post on my blog, Happy Birthday Author. I have a linky that is collecting ideas to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday.

http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

Cynthia Renee' said...

I've been trying to think of a craft for the Lorax story. The pencils are a fabulous idea!

Shy said...

I can't wait to make these for my daughter's 2nd birthday party! Even the little ones can have fun with unsharpened pencils like these :)

Christy said...

I used to love those pencils; thanks for the nostalgic moment! We are very excited about the movie.

Brimful Curiosities said...

They look exactly like the trees in the book. Very creative.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I can't get enough ideas for Dr. Seuss activities! Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Ticia said...

I remember those too. I'm trying to decide if my kids would like this, I've had mixed results on doing things to pencils. The glitter pencil was a total failure.

Homegrown Learners said...

What a cute idea... I'm going to be using this printable and pencil idea!

Lindsy said...

Love the truffula pencils. My kids love this book and they would love writing their own silly words with it! Thanks!

Nicole said...

Over from TGIF. Very cute! I'm keeping this idea for next year.

Nicole said...

Over from TGIF. Very cute! I'm keeping this idea for next year.

maggy, red ted art said...

Great idea for a fluffly Lorax!
Thanks for sharing on Kids GeT Crafty!

Maggy

Raising a Happy Child said...

They are totally Truffula trees (if you disregard the fact that the trees were actually cut to make the pencils :)) I think daughter has Dr Seuss week in school and they have a lot of fun there.

Sherri said...

Very Cute!
We made pencils tooo....yours are too adorable! :)

MSBABY said...

I love your pencil ideas and I pinned them on my board.

http://pinterest.com/nurseryideas/everything-dr-seuss/


Jan
Unique Baby Nursery Ideas and Gear

Carrie said...

How fun!! I love your pencils. I remember loving them when I was young as well. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! Have a great week!

Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com said...

Ahhh, so cute...such memories, you knew you had it, when you had a fluffy pen!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

I love these, what a fun way to make writing even...more fun! I'm featuring these in the new A Crafty Soiree...thanks for linking up!