Monday, February 13, 2012

Bleeding Hearts

14 Days of Hearts, Day 12

My kids love to help me with our garden and I love having their help!  Last year, we made a sensory garden together and we'll do it again this year, but I also wanted to add some more flowering plants to the backyard.

I'm sure these weren't the hearts you had in mind for this time of year!  However, we've started to make some garden plans for the spring.  It will be awhile before we can plant too much, but we can plan! 

My grandfather had bleeding hearts in his garden and I loved them.  The flowers look like a little garland to me.  We have the perfect shaded spot around our garden pond in the backyard for them too.

My plan was to plant them this past weekend.  Our temperatures have been in the 50's and 60's for the past several weeks and spring bulbs and trees are starting to bloom.  Don't you know "Murphy" struck and we barely tipped into the 30's this weekend!  Hopefully, it will be nicer in the next week or so and we can get them in the ground and enjoy them this summer.



KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Bleeding hearts are wonderful and perfect for a shady spot. I look forward to seeing the little wonder day's 2012 sensory garden!
We are know where near close to planting season.

Christy said...

I love Bleeding Hearts, so pretty!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I will consider them for our own shady spots - I also think they are very pretty! We have our azalea bush flowering right now :)

Sherri said...

We are in the middle of a snow storm...gardening will have to wait!
I love that you have the kids help out so much! :)

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Love bleeding hearts! Fortunately we have a gorgeous bleeding hearts bush in our yard (from previous owner) and it is huge! If we ever move, this is the one thing I will miss! I"m sure I could take a cutting if I ever need to, but it is in the perfect spot ad it probably has been there for over 20+ years!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We're sooo far from planting season yet, I can't imagine - just seeing the seed packages makes me anxious for summer - forget planting, I'd like to skip straight to blooming :)