Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Make Your Own Scratch Off Valentines!

 14 Days of Hearts!
I'm giving these hearts to the kids after school today.  There is a hidden message under the center heart.  They need to scratch off the paint with a penny to reveal it.

Make scratch off valentines
The outside of the heart says,  

                 "You are so SWEET!"
"You are so COOL!"

The hidden message is...
Let's go for ice cream!

how to make scratch off valentines

Supplies
metallic paint
liquid dish soap
foam brush
contact paper
disposable cup and spoon
glitter (optional)


I found the tutorial for scratch off paint at Family Fun.  I was a little skeptical that this would work, but it really does (and it was easy)!   I only needed to do 3 valentines, so I reduced the recipe to 2 teaspoons of paint to 1 teaspoons of dish soap.  My contact paper only needed 2 coats of paint.  It wasn't sparkly enough, so while the paint was still wet, I sprinkled it with glitter. 

Photobucket

Linking to:  Red Ted Art's Blog, ABC and 123, All Things Wonderful, Thrifty Thursday, A Crafty Soiree, It's Playtime!, Wow Me Wednesday, Fun for the Kids Friday, TGIF!, The Joys of Home Educating, Once Upon a Weekend, Be Different Act Normal, The Sunday Showcase, Sharing Saturday, Fun Stuff Fridays, Thematic Thursday, Link and Learn, Serenity Now, Making Monday Marvelous

19 comments :

Brimful Curiosities said...

Did you kids guess what was under the scratch off heart from the clues?

Christy said...

I saw this somewhere last year and wondered if it worked. I'll have to try it. Very cool!

Sherri said...

AWESOME!!!!
Totally doing this!!!!

Little Wonders' Days said...

No, they didn't guess, lol. They thought I was telling them that they were sweet and cool. I was, but it was a clue as to what we were going to do for our after school snack.

Ticia said...

Oh, I totally need to do this!

maggy, red ted art said...

Aaah these are so lovely and so coooool!! Clever you! I have never heard of scratch of paint before. What fun.

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I feautured a similar project at TGIF this week, but I like yours with the red paint waaaaay better!! I can't wait to try this myself!!
Beth =-)

melismama said...

Oh these are awesome. I would love it if you would link up to my KIDS Valentine Crafts Party

http://www.thejoysofhomeeducating.com/2012/02/valentine-kids-craft-link-up.html

Melissa

tobecontinued said...

How cool! I haven't seen this method before!

Deana said...

Thats clever...my little one will love this Thanks....I'd love for you to share this @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party going on now-Sunday midnight…have a wonderful day!

April's Homemaking said...

What a fun idea! Your Valentines look really cute!

The Mommies Made Me Do It said...

Aww, these are adorable :)
Popping in from Sunday Showcase Linky!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Awesome! Such a great idea! I host a weekly meme called Thematic Thursday. Each week has a theme and this would be perfect for this week's Valentine's theme.

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

seriously? LOVE this! I am so doing it for my girls - so thanks for the condensed recipe!!! how fun!

I shared on pinterest & FB!

thanks for linking to the sunday showcase

Mcihelle @ Layers of Learning said...

This is a great idea! thanks for sharing.

I found you at the Sunday Showcase Link-up.

Carrie said...

How fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! We look forward to seeing what you share next week!

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Love this! We are hosting our first Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party this Friday (the 10th) and would love for you to share this! Feel free to stop by and grab a party button! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I've totally been wanting to try these! How fun! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday! Hope to see you this week also!

Shauna said...

What a fun idea. Thanks so much for sharing this at my "All Things Wonderful Link Party" and I hope that you will come back again this week.
Take care,
Shauna
myshaenoel.blogspot.com