Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How to Make Winter Shadow Puppets

how to make shadow puppets

We're learning about shadows this week.  I made a couple of shadow puppets for the kids to conduct some experiments.  They liked playing with them so much that I made a set of winter themed puppets for them.

winter shadow puppets

In our collection
a hat
a mitten
snowflakes
children sledding
a snowman
a cup of hot cocoa
a skate
a cardinal
shadow play


We started out in a dark room and used a wall to play and experiment with the puppets.  I have no idea why Sassyfras is bundled up in her coat, hat, and mittens, but I guess she figured she'd dress the part.

playing with shadow puppets

They played with making the shadows bigger, smaller, and disappear altogether by moving their flashlight or the puppet.
winter shadow puppets

I made the shadow puppets by cutting shapes from black construction paper and taping them to lollipop sticks. 

winter shadow puppets

They kept coming back to play with the puppets, so I finally hung a white tablecloth over the coffee table and they crawled under to put on puppet shows.  Little J even joined their fun when he came home from school.

playing with winter shadow puppets

winter shadow puppets

20 comments :

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What fun! Looks like your kids had a blast with this =)

Lindsay said...

So fun!! Looks like everyone had a blast! They would probably love to watch something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpaCahFmruM (I didn't watch this clip in particular but I saw them on America's got talent one time!)

Christy said...

Great fun! My kids love shadow puppets.

Science Sparks said...

That looks like so much fun! We did a shadow puppet post a little while ago and the kids just loved them as well. Thanks linking to science sparks!

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is so-so cool! I can see why they enjoyed it, especially with their own theater.

Sherri said...

Absolutely adorable!

Brimful Curiosities said...

My kids never tire of shadow play, although I try to avoid having them play shadows in my son's room. His imagination soars at bedtime!

Happy Whimsical Hearts said...

Such magical play - captivating, popping in from TGIF

Bronwyn said...

Popping in from TGIF - that looks like a lot of fun - love the puppets you are using.

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea!

Lindsi B said...

What a super awesome idea! My kids would love this! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-5.html

Partycraft Secrets said...

I just love this idea - I want to have a go myself right now... at yours that is... ok... I might make some of my own... one day! I found you via TGIF and joined up - would love you to pop across to my party-crafty site and join up too! http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/

Having Fun said...

Your blog is lovely. So many neat ideas you've done with your kids. Very nice.

Veronica @ http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/2012/01/week-19-day-2-winter-sensory-fun.html

Brittney said...

This looks really fun! I'm pinning this...I know my kiddos would enjoy it!

Brittney
www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What fun!! I love this idea =-) I am pinning and sticking away for a unit I have in mind.Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
Beth =-)

MiaB said...

What a fun idea!!! My daughter would loooove this... I would love it if you could link this up to Sharing Saturday Linky party :)
http://www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-am-thrilled-to-be.html

Terri Thompson said...

This looks like such a fun way to spend a snowy afternoon!

Carrie said...

What a fun lesson! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday. We are definitely going to give this a try at my house.

Katie said...

OK this is one of my fav's that I seen all day!! This is SO great for a rainy or snowy day...a PJ kinda day! I am pinning this!! Thank you so much for sharing at thrifty Thursday, I hope to see you next week!

maggy, red ted art said...

These are wonderful! Love the "seasonality" of them. Great fun.

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy