Monday, January 16, 2012

Montessori Inspired Valentine Activities

Sassyfras and Juiciness know the names of numbers through 10, rote count well, and can count objects. However, I realized that they weren't associating numbers with their proper quantities.
Montessori valentine activities

To help them practice, I took a muffin pan and placed muffin liners with numbers 0-10 in it. Then I counted out the exact number of Hershey Kisses they would need to finish it correctly and set them in a separate bowl. When they finished, they could eat the Hershey Kiss in the last spot...just one a day though.
Montessori valentine activities
As you can imagine, it was a popular work.  We mostly did this together, but I think they are getting the idea.
Montessori valentine activity

This is a punch pin set that I purchased from a Montessori supply website.  We tried this activity about six months ago and they weren't able to do it, so I put it away for a bit.  Sassyfras is starting to write, so I brought it out again.  She couldn't trace the cookie cutter, but she could do the punch pin now!

Montessori valentine activity

Over the course of preschool and kindergarten, Little J did poster board size maps of the US, all the continents, and world using a punch pin set.  I was amazed every time he finished a map, I don't think I would have the patience!
montessori valentine

She really liked her heart.  I wonder if she would like to do her valentines like this???

Photobucket




10 comments :

Brittney said...

We have done the counting activity with an egg carton and dried beans before, but Hershey Kisses are much more fun!

Brittney
www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

Sherri said...

You little one is learning the same things we are learning! :)...just yours is with chocolate...my girl is going to be jealous! :)

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What a clever idea!!! We are totally going to use this in a couple weeks =-)
Beth

Discovering Montessori said...

I love the math ctivity! It is a lot of work to make your own maps, congratulations to your hard worker:) Thank you for sharing.

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love push pin idea - have to try it here just for fun.

Marissa said...

This is a creative and delicious way to practice counting. We are definitely going to try it, and hoping we don't eat TOO many! :)

Marissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a fun way to practice counting. those kisses would definitely keep them coming back for more.

BTW, push pinning an entire map???? that is hard work! Wow!

Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

I love these trays! My Boogie is too little for push pins, I think, but I definitely think he will enjoy it when he is a little older. One of the reasons I love Pinterest :) Guarantees I won't forget great ideas!

I would love for you to share these at What's on the Tray Wednesday!

http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-on-tray-wednesday-4.html

Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

Thank you for sharing these at WOTT! I don't know that Boogie should be eating all those kisses, but maybe we can strike a deal and he can count and I can eat :)