Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How to Make a No Sew Tulle Valentine's Shirt

How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt

I love the catalog Chasing Fireflies, just not the prices!  I saw a tulle heart shirt in their recent catalog and thought it would be so cute for Sassyfras.  I decided to make my own and save a few dollars. 

no sew tulle shirt

Washed and ironed cotton t-shirt (about $6.00)
hot pink tulle trim ($2.50 with coupon)
white tulle trim ($2.50 with coupon)
Unique Stitch ($3.00 with coupon)
Sewing pins
Needle and thread

I purchased one yard of each trim, but only used just over a half yard of each.  I found it at Joanne's Fabric and used a coupon.  The t-shirt came from Target.  I found the Unique Stitch, a fabric glue, at AC Moore and used a coupon too.  In the end, I figure I spent less than $14 on this shirt.

How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt

I started by washing and ironing the t-shirt.  Then, I folded it in half and ironed the seam so I could mark the center of the shirt.

How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt

Before doing anything permanent, I played around with placing trim.  I started with the center top of the heart with the white tulle and worked my way around clockwise pinning as I went.  This was very helpful because I was off center the first time around.  I was able to correct the placement before it was too late, so don't skip this step!

How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt

Once I was happy with how to place the trim, I started gluing it to the shirt, taking care not to glue the fluffy part of the trim.  I pinned as I went and it held it well.  I think it would be sufficient to not do any sewing if the wear wouldn't be too much. However, Sassyfras saw me working on the shirt and fell in love with it. I decided that I'd better do a little stitching just in case!

How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt

Chasing Fireflies pairs their shirt with an adorable red tulle skirt, but my Sassyfras is a jeans girl.  I think it looks really cute with jeans!

{Post update}
I had one reader kindly ask about the tulle trim as they were concerened it didn't look like tulle and didn't want to purchase the wrong thing.  I decided to take a close-up picture of what I used.  The roll was labeled tulle trim, and I guess it really looks more like a tulle base with a guazy like fabric on top. 
How to make a heart shaped tulle shirt


Lindsay said...

Cute!! Way to make it yourself and save some money :-)

Ticia said...

Thank is way too cute. I need to show it to Princess to see if she'd like to get one.

Christy said...

Adorable! I love that catalog too!

Joyful Learner said...

Pretty! Great job! I love the catalog but not the prices either but I'm not as crafty as you are. It turned out great!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Very pretty!

Allison said...

So cute!!

I invite you to add this post (or any other Valentine's Day posts) the Find Some Love Fest on February 1st! 5 blogs, 1 party!


KAT said...

that is adorable ! I can see my grand-daughter loving this type of top

- KAT-

Vicky said...

Ok, I actually think I can do this and I don't really sew. Love the finished product! I have stumbled this post. I am visiting from Ginger Snap crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

How darling! That tulle is gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking up to Oopsey Daisy!

Carrie said...

Oh, I love it!! I will definitely have to give this a try.

Jackie H. said...

I LOVE this! I have some of that fabric glue that I bought for a halloween costume. Now I just need a little girl to make it for. I am getting a niece soon. hmm...

Lindsi B said...

Oh my gosh that is BEAUTIFUL!!! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-6.html

Nicole said...

This is adorable. I want to make one for my daughter!

Julie said...

so cute!

Lola said...

Just one quick question....the fabric does not look like tulle. Just wanted to make sure before I bought mine.

Creative Hugs

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Lola,

Here is a link to the shirt I was trying to mimic, it might give you a better idea of what to look for at the store.

It wasn't tulle on a roll, but tulle trim, well, labeled tulle trim...

I don't think you necessarily need to find tulle trim, just something with some "fluff" to it. I saw some rosette trim that I thought about using, but it was more expensive.

I hope this helps.
Kelly, Little Wonders' Days

MiaB said...

This is toooo cute!!! I love it... would like to invite you to share this here -


Thanks so much and have a great weekend.


Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Sooooooooo cute!! Your daughter is going to be too cute in that shirt!Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
Beth =-)

ellu said...

Thanks, really cute. I'll have to try it.

ellu said...

Thanks, really cute. I'll have to try it.

Sherri said...

Very cute! I love it!

Carol said...

I have no sewing abilities and just wondered how you are pinning the trim to the shirt. Do you keep it pinned until you glue? I love this shirt and would love to try it. Thanks.

Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Carol,

I pinned the entire heart at first, just to make sure I knew how to position it and to get an idea of how much trim it would need. Then, I removed all the pins except for the first few (so I could save the starting spot). Also, I only pinned the base of the trim, not the fluffy part...you want to keep the glue off of that part.

After that, I glued and pinned as I went. The glue wouldn't have held the trim until it dried if I didn't pin. Another tip I should mention is to use a light hand with the glue. Lighter fabrics need less glue according to the package directions.

According to the glue directions, you shouldn't need to sew anything. However, my Sassyfras is a rough and tumble girl, so I was worried it might not hold up to her. I only did a few hand stitches here and there. I HATE to hand sew and I don't think I could have machine sewn this trim.

I really think anyone who is just a little crafty could do this shirt. I would recommend maybe trying to get the hang of it on a scrap piece of fabric if you're worried.

Good luck!

Hope this helps,

Claiming Our Space said...

Very nice. I think this same technique would be perfect for pillows. Thanks for the idea.

TheCraftBarn said...

Love it!! I posted a link to this on my blog...thru my pinterest board.
Jennifer @ The Craft Barn

Linda said...

I love this shirt and hope you will link it up to my Show-It-Off Thursdays party at:


Thanks, Linda

Carol said...

Thanks for the detailed response. I bought a hot pink boa at Target today that looks similar to the trim. I will be trying this this weekend.

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Carol. I hope it turns out fabulous!

Anonymous said...

When you worked with the trim did you
do long strips or small strips you
pinched and pinned?

Kelly said...

I worked with the entire length of trim pinning as I made the heart shape. It was a little tricky going back to glue it this way, but it made sure the heart kept its shape.