Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Parts of Bird Mini Book, Printable

We started our bird theme by taking a short nature walk and looking for our neighborhood birds.  I told them to look and listen for the birds and tell me about them.  I also asked the kids questions here and there just to see what they already knew.  I'm often surprised how much they already know.

bird preschool theme plans

I've filled our book basket with nonfiction books about birds, ones that are filled with pictures. 

Our Nonfiction book list
A Nest Full of Eggs by Priscilla Belz Jenkins
Why Do Birds Sing by Joan Holub
Everything Bird by Cherie Winner
Feeding Our Feathered Friends by Dean T. Spaulding
How Do Birds Find Their Way by Roma Gans
Eyewitness Books Bird

bird preschool theme


Here is our bird book....
parts of a bird montessori free printable
bird printable found at DLTK's

When Little J attended a Montessori school, they often did mini books.  Their teacher set a control book out and the children used it to make their own book. 

free montessori bird printable

I made a "parts of a bird" book for Sassyfras and Juiciness.  We"read" it several times before they sat down to make their own.

free montessori pars of a bird printable

Each page has a part of a bird colored and labeled.  It has been easy for them to learn the simple parts of a bird.  Now, they "read" their book to me.

I found a clipart picture and made a book to share with you.  Click on the link below if you are interested. 

Parts of a bird


Photobucket




Linking to:  Living Montessori Now-Montessori Monday, ABC and 123- Show and Tell, Thrifty Thursday, Fun for the Kids Friday, TGIF!!, The Sunday Showcase, Link and Learn, Science Sunday

18 comments :

Ticia said...

Why didn't you decide to learn about this back when we were learning about birds last year? :)

These are awesome, and I've totally pinned it!

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing the book! :) Again your blog is my fav!

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a great unit! I pinned it too for the book list.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We have a wonderful bird identifying book we use when watching the birds at the feeder (Common Birds and Their Songs by Lang Elliott). It came with a CD of bird songs, too. Very helpful.

Confessions of a Montessori Mom Lisa Nolan said...

Love your post about birds! I just started a (revised) bird seed pouring work for my son, outside, and moved our bird feeder onto an upside down planter, so he can see the birds. This is a nice activity also for special needs children, like my son who has Down's. Next, I will show my son how to use my mom's binoculars that she passed down to us... Then it's onto bird books and bird cards! Thanks for sharing yours! I pinned your post on my Pinterest here http://pinterest.com/lnmontessori/

Discovering Montessori said...

Nice booklet you put together! I already printed a copy, I love to have a variety of booklets for the kids to use, for the reason you stated about the different levels. Birds are just interesting creatures all kids enjoy them. It is good that they can still be included in the activities. Thank you for sharing.

Jackie said...

I have pinned it too, thankfully this is something we will be doing this spring. Thanks for sharing, especially the bird book titles.

tobecontinued said...

Adorable! Saw you at TGIF!
Catherine
tbc-tobecontinued.blogspot.com

Mozer said...

Love this! Going to use it w/ my kiddos.

Michelle @ Layers-of-Learning said...

I love the idea of having each of the different parts on a separate page of the book.

Deb Chitwood said...

I'm loving your bird activities, Kelly! And thanks for sharing your Parts of a Bird printable! I started a new Bird Unit Study Pinterest board with your bird posts at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/bird-unit-study/

Mommy Cameron | Raising the Cameron Clan said...

This is a great idea! Just dropping by from TGIF. I would love for you to share at my {Free} Printables Linky Party

Jae said...

Love the bird unit! Will probably do one this Summer.

Katie said...

This is fantastic! I'm HUGE fan of mini books, and I am pinning this! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday! Hope to see you this week also!

montessori workjobs said...

Thank you for this book. I included a link to it on my blog: http://montessoriworkjobs.blogspot.com/2011/08/birds.html

Deb Chitwood said...

You have so many awesome bird and egg activities, Kelly! I featured your bird posts and your photo of the parts of a bird booklet in my Montessori-Inspired Bird Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/03/27/montessori-inspired-bird-unit/

Sara said...

Great ideas! Is there a way to download this booklet without paying for a Scribd membership? I can't seem to do so without paying at least $9 for a day pass. Bummer!

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Hi Sara,

Email me at luraymeister@gmail.com with your email address and I'll send you the file. Scribd was free when I put the file on it. I'm happy to share.