Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year Activities for Kids

We read the book, "Long Long's New Year" by Catherine Gower and illustrated by He Zhihong this morning before everyone headed out for their day.  It's a book about a young Chinese boy and his grandfather that go to market to sell cabbages in order to earn enough money to by supplies for the Spring Festival.
Chinese New Year Activities for kids

It is a well written story with beautiful illustrations.  In the back there is a bit about the first Chinese Spring Festival and the meanings of some Chinese words in the story.  It's a bit long, but Sassyfras and Juiciness were very interested in it.

Chinese new year's activities

There are illustrations of fish throughout the book, so I thought it would be fun to do something with them.  Now, what I've printed is probably more associated with Japanese culture, but I liked them best.  Hopefully, I haven't forever confused my kids.  If you want to confuse your kids too, you can find the picture here, just enlarge it.
Chinese New Year craft for kids

I loved the way Little J blended the colors of his fish.
chinese new year crafts for kids



chinese new year for kids

I bought a whole bag of clementines yesterday and the kids have eaten all but these three!  I put 2 one dollar bills in the red envelopes and will put them at their plates tonight.  We're doing dinner simple this year and ordering out for Chinese.  The kids love low mein.

Photobucket

Linking to:  Show and Tell, Kids Get Crafty, stART, Sharing Saturday, Read Explore Learn

11 comments :

Raising a Happy Child said...

What a great list of New Year's activities. We are ordering a takeout too. Love the extra touch of getting money for Chinese New Year - this might make daughter super happy :)

Raina @ Mamacita Spins The Globe said...

Very fun. I love those fish, there are many cultures that celebrate the Lunar New Year, so I think the fish are just fine :)

I've just started reading your blog and I love that you are teaching you are teaching your children about other cultures. My family studies a new country every month and I blog about the adventures along the way. (My kids are 4 and 7 too :))

I look forward to seeing more of the fun that you are having with your children.

Lindsay said...

Love the blended colors on the fish!

Deceptively Educational said...

Your fish are beautiful! I love this project!! Thanks for sharing!

maggy, red ted art said...

Wonderful Chinese New Year activity. The wish look wonderful and the book sounds great!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Shannon said...

What a great project! The fish turned out beautiful.

Mom and Kiddo said...

Very nice! Kiddo has several friends in his class who have parents from China so they had a great celebration at school.

Carrie said...

What a fun way to celebrate. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Rebekah said...

What a great Chinese New Year idea!!! We love clementines in our house too!!

Sherri said...

Another great project!
The fish turned out great!

Phyllis said...

The Japanese celebrate "Chinese" New Year's, too.