Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Swirly Twirly, Advent Day 5

advent activities for kids

The kids helped me make these swirled cookies for our swirly twirly afternoon.  We baked just a few and then wrapped the rest of the roll up and put it in the freezer to bake more another day. 

advent activities for kids

We cook together quite often now and they have all gotten really good at pouring and mixing.  Little J runs the mixer without help and reads and follows simple recipes independently. 

ribbon candy

I saw this ribbon candy the other day while shopping and it brought back childhood memories.  I had an aunt that always had some out for me at Christmas time when I was little.  I remember thinking how pretty it was.  We each picked two colors to try and just had a tiny piece. 

Shaving cream painted Christmas bags

We did shaving cream paint art again and it was a big hit.  The kids love creating with this process and we're always surprised with the outcome. 

Shaving cream painted Christmas bags

This time we painted one side of white lunch sacks (from target).  The kids are going to use them to wrap small treats for teachers.

Shaving cream painted Christmas bags

Shaving cream painted Christmas bags


We use acrylic paint because it makes for a more brilliant color pattern.  We have tried tempera and I've seen food coloring used, both are pretty, just not as vivid as acrylic paints.

Swirled Christmas ornaments

Little J and I made some swirled glass ornaments.  To make them we picked 3 acrylic paint colors and poured just a little of each into the ball and then covered the opening with a paper towel and shook them.  We drained them overnight and in the morning they were dry and ready to hang.

Swirled Christmas ornaments

17 comments :

Lindsay said...

Yum those cookies looks delicious! I love cookies that you can cook and freeze! The ornaments turned out great!

Alissa @Creative With Kids said...

Wow! Your swirly art is gorgeous! {pinning it} Thanks for visiting my Christmas Countdown, I hope you continue to enjoy it. My four year old is in love with the walnut babies we've made.

Lovingmama said...

Will you please come plan my December? Your activities are just adorable! I love the swirl cookies = they would make a great addition to a party tray of cookies! It is wonderful that your kids help you in the kitchen =)

Rachel Kaylynn said...

Love the shaving cream art, so pretty!

Phyllis said...

Wow! I love all the activities! What fun! I love the swirl theme, too.

Christy said...

I love all of this!!! We make cookies like that around Christmas too!

Raising a Happy Child said...

I love that Little J is such a good cook. He has a great teacher :)

marissa said...

those look so fun to do with the kiddos I'd love you to link this up to my what we wore party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

A swirly themed day? yes please!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

So much way fun stuff here!! We actually just made swirl cookies like yours (not as pretty) yesterday!! How fun. LOVE the swirly paint & how fun to use them to decorate sacks for presents - LOVE it!!! I think I'll just send my kids to your house for a week or so =-)
Beth (TGIF)

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

What a fun theme!! Swirly Twirly :) LOVE it.

Rose said...

I love the swirly cookies! And the art is so pretty!

Carrie said...

The cookies and paint projects are beautiful! This is the 2nd time this evening that I've come across the shaving cream paint. I guess the kiddos and I are going to have to give it a try!

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

What a good idea to paint on the lunch sacks to hold gifts inside! I'm totally stealing that idea! :)

karlamcurry said...

I love all these activities! So fun and colorful and whimsical!

Ruby Jean said...

Okay all's I saw was SHAVING CREAM...and had to stop in... I new that this would be something FUN!!! for our kids... I love it...and your cookies look YUMMY too!! I would love for you to share it here http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-party1/

Cynthia Renee' said...

I'm visiting from the linky party. I came looking for the baking you've done and I was surprised to find more holiday ideas! The cookies look absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try the shaving cream art (my 2 yr old will love doing that) and the ornament idea is something we're going to have to try next year. Thanks for sharing!!