Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Joy to the World, Joy Boxes

We are off my planned advent activities again, but that's okay!  We've been having a wondeful season and taking life as it comes.  I taught the kids the first verse to "Joy to the World" yesterday.  I think it will be one of their favorites.  We read part of the Christmas story from Matthew 2:10-11.

Joy boxes

Our go along project was to paint joy boxes.

easy Christmas craft for kids

I found these little boxes and chipboard letters at the craft store.  The kids painted them with tempera paint.  I also gave each of them a little card that I stamped with the word joy.

easy Christmas craft for kids
My initial plan was to ask them to write something or tell me something to write for them on the card to do for someone outside our family.  However, we've been having a little issue with squabbling with each other and I changed my mind.  I asked them to use the card to tell one thing about each of their siblings that brought them joy and one thing they could do for them to bring them joy.

Little J did it quickly and Sassyfras and Juiciness were excited to hear what he said about them, big smiles.  They however, took a little coaching to understand the project, but in the end figured it out and Little J was very happy too.  I can't say we're going to be all hugs and smiles today, but maybe reminding them to read their cards again will help restore some joy!

make a joy box


10 comments :

Phyllis said...

The boxes are beautiful!!

Ticia said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I learned a song a few years ago for VBS that I always think of now for joy: J-O-Y J-O-Y, here is what it means: Jesus first, yourself last, and others in between.

Rachel@I Heart Crafty Things said...

Such a sweet idea! Their boxes turned out so beautiful. We have been desperately trying to learn how to be kind to your brothers and sister around our house so I really need to try this project!

Sherri said...

I love JOY TO THE WORLD...and you boxes are precious!

Amanda said...

Beautiful! What a great project to spead joy =) I always forget to make my own stamps and will try to make some this week! We shared a link with all your Christmas posts with our readers today! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/12/afterschool-express-holiday-fun.html

Raising a Happy Child said...

Great idea. I can imagine that there are less than joyful moments between siblings even though life appears to be very perfect on your blog :)

The Southern Product Queen said...

Such a sweet and cute idea! Love it! I just grabbed ur button and put it on my blog! Also its Linky Party time again on my blog! I would love it if you would link up again! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/2011/12/20/linky-party-2/

Christy said...

I really like the boxes! I also love the idea to have them say nice things about their siblings. I have to do that - there has been a lot of squabbling here too!!!

maggy, red ted art said...

The boxes look wonderful!

Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

That is such a sweet idea!